Monday, October 31, 2016

An Early Start to Oscar Season - Movie Review: Sully

Allison and I are trying to get a jump on Oscar season given I'm going to ruin our prime movie going time by, you know, having a pesky newborn around. We used IndieWire's predictions last year and they were pretty accurate, so we're using that again this year {in case anyone is interested, ha}. Sully is listed as a front-runner for Best Picture and was playing nearby so that's what we picked!


Plot: The story of Chesley Sullenger, an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew.

Review: Allison and I were curious how an entire movie was going to be made about this water landing since it was a very short incident. Well, the vast majority of the movie is about the aftermath - the rescue, investigation, how Sully and his co-pilot dealt with it. We both enjoyed it more than we thought we would going into it. We both cried during the actual take-off/landing scene - it felt very real and it was easy to experience the emotion. Last year, our first Oscar movie was Spotlight which went on to win Best Picture. I don't think we found the winner this year though. Grade: B+

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good, not great. Had no idea about all the second guessing in the aftermath. On to mote Oscar nominated movies! - AP

Kathryn Bagley said...

I have been on the fence with this one cause there was so much speculation..so I will just wait for you to tell me what happens :)

Emily said...

I am what they refer to as a "Nervous Flier" (see also: totally irrationally convinced we will crash at any second) so I'm struggling with this movie because, y'know, they crash! But it's also a happy crash so...?!

Karen said...

I liked the movie a lot. One you HAVE TO add to your list is Lion with Dev Patel. It is getting a Best Picture nomination for sure. I loved it!

Karen said...

It's NOT a crash, it's a forced water landing. 😊