Saturday, May 18, 2013

Nightmare on Elm Street

Day 18: Tell a story from your childhood.

Patty and I have 10 first cousins on my mom's side of the family. My grandparents lived on a farm with no air conditioning or cable. It was brutal. We cousins had to actually entertain ourselves playing outside and stuff. Ugh.

The cousins in 2002 {wish I had a pic on my computer from back in the day}

Once - I'm going to guess I was about 8 - there were 6 of us spending the weekend. At the time I was the youngest grandkid (I am #10), and we were divided up - the 3 oldest {Dave, Lee, and Julie} were locked in one room and wouldn't let the 3 youngest {Abby, Patty, and me} in the room. Meanies. We 3 littles banged on the door to no avail until suddenly, we were let in. Hooray! Or so we thought.

Lee was standing on the bed wrapped in a blanket, and Dave was in a corner working a flashlight. They had us settle in for a little story...the story of Freddy Krueger. {Sidebar...my grandparents house was on Elm Street.} Lee starts to tell us the story of Freddy, going into deep description of his looks. Dave would periodically turn off the flashlight for extra creepiness. 

To say the 3 of us littles were spooked would be an understatement. 

Being the nosy curious kid that I am, who {rightfully} had no clue about dear ol' Freddy asked 'What did his nails look like?'

Lee responded 'Like this!!!!' and pulled out his hand which had steak knives taped to every finger. 

Screaming and darkness ensued.

Oh those hilarious cousins. {grin}

The best part? Later that night the actor who played Freddy Krueger was on a late night talk show. Can we say random?




0 comments: