Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Love for Books...Especially Free Ones!

I never really shared what I got for Christmas.  Here is what I was wishing for. I was SO surprised because I've always wanted a Kindle but never really told anyone in my life that I wanted one because I've always disliked the concept of paying for books.  You're talking to a girl who has a library membership AND a TexShare card that allows me to have memberships in any (yes, ANY) public library in the state of Texas.  Be still, my {bookworm} heart.  Well, my honey surprised me with a Kindle.  The idea came to him when Trent was watching a video on our laptop, and I was reading a book on the Kindle app on my phone.  He thought for a girl who loves to read as much as I do, it was silly to be reading on my phone.  Well, once your honey shells out some dough for a Kindle, you gotta use it.  Right?  What is a conflicted girl to do?


Enter Overdrive.  Never heard of it?  Well, let me tell you about the wonders of Overdrive.  It's the Central Texas Digital Library!  Yes, you read that right.  A digital library.  Now I know Amazon has a digital library.  But you have to have a Prime membership, and I'm not sure I want to shell out $75 every year for it.  This is totally free!  All you have to do is have a library membership, and you can 'check out' books for your e-reader.


You may be wondering why I'm blogging about this.  Mainly because I wanted to make sure every bookworm out there knew about it because I think it's such a cool, FREE service our local libraries provide.  I am a huge supporter of libraries and reading!!  So what are you waiting for?  Get borrowing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!!! You know I hate paying for books too & just buy them for my Kindle when I get Amazon gift cards. Can't wait to check this out!!!! -Allison

The Sloan Family said...

Allena - I've been stalking your blog for a couple months now, hehe. I'm so happy you posted this! I never knew we had so much in common....love of Starbucks, love of reading...and we're total nerds :)

Thanks for the tip. I love taking Parker to the library too - I'm trying to turn both my kids into little bookworms :)

Take care and hope you are surviving busy season :)
Let me know if you want me to invite you to read my blog (it's private) - then you can stalk me too, haha!
Lindsay

Karen M. Peterson said...

My county library system has Overdrive and it's awesome. I've downloaded audiobooks that way.

Val said...

Hi! I haven't read blogs in a month. Missed reading yours. :)

Kelly said...

That is so awesome!!! I am going to sign up because I am a member of the Cedar Park Library!

Kit Perkins said...

Do you know if you can sign up for a libary account online or do you have to be part of a specific libary?