Monday, January 27, 2014

Movie Review: Philomena

My second Best Picture nominee! Allison and I hit up Philomena this weekend, and we've got a plan going to tackle a few more ASAP! She refuses to see 12 Years a Slave, so if anyone wants to go...let me know, ha.


PlotA world-weary political journalist picks up the story of a woman's search for her son, who was taken away from her decades ago after she became pregnant and was forced to live in a convent.

Review: Well, this movie was amazing and HARD to watch all at the same time. I think anyone would have a difficult time with the subject matter but as a mother who has a tendency to have anxiety issues and bond a little too closely to her babies...this was tough. I kept putting myself in her shoes and crying. This movie told a story that, if not real, you'd think was too ludicrous to enjoy. The acting is superb, it is funny, it is heart-wrenching, it is touching. It.is.so.good. Allison had the best night of the line though - as we were leaving, she said 'Now I'll go sob quietly in my car all the way home.' Yup.

1 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to probably next week. It looks great!

I'll go to 12 Years with you! ;-)