Friday, May 1, 2020

April 2020 Book Review


Not my busiest month of reading, but I think I have an eclectic set of books here that I enjoyed and hope you'll find something you like to! I'm at 34 books for the year, and I'm 2 ahead of schedule for my goal of 100 books this year.


Open Book by Jessica Simpson - Another book worm friend loaned me this book, which I'm not sure I would have otherwise, and I actually really enjoyed it. I have never been a big fan of Jessica's music, but I was a HUGE Newlyweds fan back in the day, and I was super upset when she and Nick got divorced. It was really fascinating to read her view on the experience plus her rise to fame in general. It was a little over-the-top Jesus-y at times, but in the end, I think I like her a lot as a person? Really fun read!


Text Me When You Get Home by Kayleen Schaefer - Another Emily recommendation! A look at female friendship, and I was HERE FOR IT. I liked how it talked about the way female friendship was viewed in our moms' generation - not really considered important - then talked about the Mean Girl phenomenon and then the rise in the importance of female friendship as we grow. I could have taken about 75 screen shots to send to my BFF, and at the end it was very validating to female friendship and very heart-warming.


Hey Ladies by Michelle Markowitz and Caroline Moss - This was an over-the-top book that had me laughing and rolling my eyes at the same time. It's written as emails between 8 girlfriends and these girls are just ridiculous and hysterical. I had a lot of fun reading this book and think it's a super fun, light, easy, quick read.


The Huntress by Kate Quinn - It's been a few years since I read The Alice Network, but I really liked it and had high hopes for The Huntress, which is another WW2 book with multi-POVs and timelines. Some other bloggers I like weren't as crazy about this one, but I actually really liked it! I thought the different characters we were following were all interesting, and I liked the way the story wove together. I was really quickly sucked into it and devoured it in a few days. A lot of times I like one POV more than others or find 1 to be tedious, but I really liked all of these {which I know others didn't}, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it!


Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren - What happens when your first love betrays you and then you run into him a decade later? This book! A pretty typical Christina Lauren read - a lot of heart but not super deep. I liked the characters and the plot development, and I read in about 2 days.


The Happy Ever After Playlist by Abby Jimenez - A while back, I read The Friend Zone and thought it was pretty darn great, but I was disappointed in where things ended for a secondary character. Enter this book which is about that friend! I don't want to say anything about her, because it will spoil a major plotline in The Friend Zone, but I just really like the way Abby writes. Her characters are snappy and witty, and I fly through her books. I also really like the stories that change POV for each chapter, and this did that. I read it in 1 day and was sad when it was over. Rated PG-13.


Elizabeth The Queen by Sally Bedell Smith - You guys know I'm obsessed with the Royal Family. This was a really awesome {LONG} read about Queen Elizabeth II. It was really detailed without being dry, and while I knew about a lot of her story from other books/articles I've read and documentaries I've watched, I still learned a lot. There were lots of great pictures {although I never think biographies put in enough}, and I thought it was a fascinating look into QE2's life.

Before I get into what I'm reading with the kids, I need to update my monthly favorite list. I said I was going to do this every month, and I haven't been! Here is how things are looking so far. I don't think much should surprise you - 3 WW2 books, chick-lit, and yes, I even have TWO ties ha.


Now onto the kiddos...

Trent and I are still reading The Mysterious Benedict Society - it's over 450 pages! - but we should finish it next week. He is loving it, and I can't wait to keep going in the series with him.


Drew and I started the 4th Baby Sitters Club book, Mary Anne Saves the Day, and she is constantly asking me to read to her. I think we'll finish this one in a few days too! I'm having her read a page here and there to me, and her reading is so awesome. Her eyes still tire out, but she's getting better and better!


I'm enjoying the extra reading time, but I will be thrilled to not read as much in the coming months if it means it's safe to go out into society again soon. If not, I'll have NO problem hitting 100 books this year. {grin} Happy reading!

3 comments:

Emily said...

We are Jessica Simpson opposites. I don’t mind her music (I don’t think I own any? But I wouldn’t change the station if it came on the radio) but didn’t like her show or care about her marriage. In fact I think I know more about her (brief?) relationship with Tony Romo than anything else. Still curious about her book since it got great reviews. Also glad you liked “text me when you get home”!

Kathryn Bagley said...

You'd be so proud. I've downloaded some books from Amazon (free) That Boy (which sounds totally like my thing..romance) and The Wedding Pact box set! We are reading Beneath a Scarlet Sky for BC and I feel like you have read this one so I need to go back through your blogs.

Natasha said...

Count me among the people who have no interest in the Jessica Simpson book and LOVED Text Me When You Get Home. I thought that one was so good. I'm excited because my library has Elizabeth the Queen as an ebook so I should be able to read it soon. Whooo hoo!!! And I can't wait until my hold on The Happy Ever After Playlist comes in -- I LOVED The Friend Zone.