Saturday, July 9, 2011

I Put On My Big Girl Panties

Alternatively Titled: Double Movie Review

I've never actually gone to the movies by myself.  [Pause for reaction]  I know, I know, I'm 30.  But I finally went one day last week.  Allison wasn't keen on seeing 'Something Borrowed', and it was only playing at the local discount theatre, so I knew my time was limited.  So I went by myself.  It was fine going, but I missed my friend.  We are dorks and always rate the previews and get to the theatre really early so we can talk beforehand.  But we made up for it by going to see the 4th Pirates movie this week.

{Pictures and plots from wikipedia.org}

I previously talked a little about these movies HERE.

Something Borrowed:
Synopsis: The novel centers around the protagonist and narrator, Rachel White, a thirty-year-old single woman who is a consummate good-girl. She and Darcy Rhone have been best friends since childhood, and hard-working Rachel is often in the shadow of flashy, sometimes selfish Darcy. Then, after a night of drinking on Rachel's thirtieth birthday, she sleeps with Darcy's fiance, Dex. After this turns into an affair, Rachel explores the meaning of friendship, true love, and ethics.
Review: Super cute, but also a pretty typical chick flick.  I really enjoyed the book and definitely more than the movie.  The actor who played Dex is worth the price of renting. {grin}

Pirates: On Stranger Tides:
Synopsis: Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too.  {The wikipedia plot was way too long, so this is from imdb.com}
Review: Loved it!  I honestly wasn't excited about going to see this, but Allison and I are committed to seeing all 'Pirates' movies together.  About 30 minutes in, my opinion quickly changed.  The 2nd and 3rd films got so bogged down in characters, too many storylines, and I couldn't keep up.  This one kept the plot simple, and it made for a much more fun film.  There was also a surprising plot line about a mermaid that Allison and I both really loved.  The ending left the movie open for another film, so we'll see what the future brings.

I have decided that I absolutely love going to the movies.  I don't like to stay up late (I told you I was 30 afterall), I'm not a big drinker or partier (even if I double fist sangria), going to the movies really fits me!


6 comments:

Val said...

I LOVE to go to the movies too. By myself or w/ company. It's so fun!

Anonymous said...

Movies are the best! Glad I have you as my movie buddy! -Allison

Anonymous said...

Movies are the best! Glad I have you as my movie buddy! -Allison

Kelly said...

I like movies too...it is a great way to escape and a big stress relief for me!

plauschinat said...

I've never been to the movies solo either... I really liked Something Borrowed, maybe as much as the book....I thought John Krasinski's character was hilarious.

Lauren W said...

I can't wait to see Something Borrowed!! I always try to get real-people reactions to movies I'm excited about before I see them... I get very 'in' to films, so if I'm excited and it sucks my mood will be gloomy for the rest of the week, lol.