Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: The Forgotten Garden

I just finished reading 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton and wanted to share!

Synopsis: In 1913, a little girl arrives in Brisbane, Australia, and is taken in by a dockmaster and his wife. She doesn’t know her name, and the only clue to her identity is a book of fairy tales tucked inside a white suitcase.  When the girl, called Nell, grows up, she starts to piece together bits of her story, but just as she’s on the verge of going to England to trace the mystery to its source, her grandaughter, Cassandra, is left in her care. When Nell dies, Cassandra finds herself the owner of a cottage in Cornwall, and makes the journey to England to finally solve the puzzle of Nell’s origins. Shifting back and forth over a span of nearly 100 years, this is a sprawling, old-fashioned novel, as well-cushioned as a Victorian country house, replete with family secrets, stories-within-stories, even a maze and a Dickensian rag-and-bone shop.


Review: My sister actually logged into my library account and reserved this book for me.  That's how much she liked it.  And I am so happy she did!  This story sucked me in almost immediately, and I loved the way the story unfolded between the 3 generations all the way back to when the original characters were living out what would become the mystery.  It was such a unique and intriguing story!  I highly recommend!  A+++  {Allison, go check it out, now!}

{Synopsis and picture from amazon.com.}


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes ma'am! Even before I got to your instructions I was thinking I wonder if RRPL has it. Going to check right now!

Unknown said...

that sounds like my kinda book! have added it to my list to see if i can get it here. thankyou

shel xx