Friday, January 12, 2024

Life Updates

When I catch up with people, my response is always 'same old, same old' and overall that remains true {for which I am SO thankful - happy marriage, good health, happy & healthy kids, stable jobs, etc.}. However, there have been a handful of small changes that in total need a blog post!

MTHFR

Some of my {small} number of readers have been reading for long enough to remember when we tested Trent and me for MTHFR thinking it would be linked to Trent's behavior challenges and my anxiety. We never tested the girls, but Drew has been dealing with some anxiety for awhile and Brent said 'Do you think we should test the girls for MTHFR?' and I responded 'DUH! Why didn't I think of that!?!' So we tested both girls...and they both have at least 1 MTHFR mutation.

Drew - 1 copy of the C677T mutation {the more severe mutation, same as Trent}
Paige - 1 copy each of the C677T and A1298C mutation {same as me}

The girls have their well-checks next week, so I'll talk to their doctor about it, but for now, we've started them both on 1 of the over-the-counter supplements Trent takes.

Brent is curious about his own potential for mutations, but knowing him, he won't have any haha.

Gateway

Trent and Drew changed schools at the start of the year {Trent 'graduated' from our beloved Montessori school so he had to move schools, but Drew asked to move when he did even though she could have stayed at Goodwater for 4 more years}. I applied for all 3 of them to get in {it's a charter school that always has a long waitlist} and none of them got in initially. Trent ended up getting accepted 6 days before school started and Drew just 3 days!

Having the big 2 enrolled jumped Paige up a lot...but she remained on the waitlist...until the week before Thanksgiving! I panicked when I got her acceptance email because she was super happy in her classroom and I didn't want to switch her so far into the school year. Brent {the level-headed man that he is} suggested seeing what Paige thought and how she felt about it. I just knew she would want to stay at Goodwater, but she surprised me and was super excited to move to Gateway with her Bubba and Sissy! {Don't ask me about the amount of time I spent panicking, spiraling, and crying over this ha.}

So she started right after the Thanksgiving break and has LOVED it! She has 2 friends in the classroom across the hall {she has recess and PE with them} and a girl from her Girl Scouts troop is in her class and we didn't know it! Gateway is a much more traditional school, but Paige has settled in really nicely - she loves having homework {which takes her about 3 minutes to complete} and having a cafeteria, gym, music room, etc. It's been nice for me having all 3 kids at the same school again and on the same calendar {although their start and end times are different which is annoying ha}.


Sawyer

The final member of #theSwopeseven got a name and I never shared it! We haven't been able to see the baby since his arrival because their pediatrician has suggested staying close to home, but we should get to see him very soon! My girls are chomping at the bits!!

George 'Sawyer' Patnode!!
{George is a family name on David's side}




Girl Scouts Troop Leader

I've been a relatively active parent in both girls' Girl Scouts troops but especially in Drew's as she likes for me to come to events. Well, there have been some leadership changes...and I took the plunge and became a troop leader this year, eek. I'm one of 3 mom leaders, and one was a leader last year, so we aren't a group of newbies thankfully! It's been a lot of fun so far, and I'm excited to go to GS camp this spring {both girls will be there at the same time and it'll be each of their first times}!

So like I said - nothing earth-shattering but all together some decent changes/new information in our family!!


2 comments:

Natasha said...

I'm so glad you might be getting some answers for Drew and that Paige is enjoying her new school. Also, a staff member at our school just had a baby and named him Sawyer!

Kathryn Bagley said...

Awe welcome Sawyer! He's a cutie! I have been wondering about the mthfr (i always say mothereffer in my head..ha). I think that is fabulous you are a troop leader!!