Friday, December 9, 2022

Top 5, Bottom 5: Christmas Songs

I can't believe this is my first Christmas post. I had to get through Hawaii first! {grin} I stole this topic from Mix & Match Mama and thought it was a fun one - my top and bottom 5 Christmas songs!


Let's start with my 5 favorite songs! This was really hard because I LOVE so many Christmas songs! I used to be an extreme traditionalist when it came to carols, but Pandora has shown me the error of my ways over the last handful of years, and now I love a mix of traditional carols and more modern/new songs. So it's not too surprising that my favorites are a mix as well!
5. LOVE IS CHRISTMAS by Sara Bareilles

This song is just so beautiful! I've enjoyed it for years now - yes, it's definitely a new Christmas song, but it is a GREAT song. It's also a very simple song - Sara and a piano!

4. ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS by Mariah Carey 

I read she has made $72M off this song alone. And I'm honestly not surprised! She is {in my opinion} the Queen of Christmas!


3. HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS

There are so many good versions of this song! It's a song that just makes me happy every time I hear it. I especially love Etta James' and Perry Como's versions.

2. THAT'S CHRISTMAS TO ME by Pentatonix 

Gosh I LOVE this song! I've been listening to it for at least 5 years and it is SO good.

1. THE CHRISTMAS SONG

I love just about every version of this song, but my favorite is Nat King Cole's version. To me, this is the epitome of a traditional Christmas carol and the absolute best one!

Now onto my least favorite carols! I can't imagine that people particularly enjoy most of these, and some I don't even know why they were made! But let me know if you disagree, ha.
5. RUN RUDOLPH RUN by Chuck Berry

This just doesn't feel like a Christmas carol, except that it's talking about Rudolph. It just feels like a Chuck Berry rock-and-roll song. It needs to feel like a Christmas carol!

4. ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE

I think this is a mostly well-loved song...but it drives me bananas. I don't think I typically get sick of Christmas carols, but this is the exception.

3. JINGLE BELL ROCK

Same as #4, this song just annoys me to no end.

2. ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY TWO FRONT TEETH

While I must admit, my little kiddo missing her two front teeth right now is super adorable, this song is dumb.

1. I WANT A HIPPOPATAMUS FOR CHRISTMAS

Even dumber than wanting your front teeth is this completely ridiculous song about a hippo. I can't even hear a single note of this song without my head wanting to explode!

Runner-ups:
- The chipmunk Christmas song
- Christmas Shoes - GAG - the most depressing song ever!


2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

omg i died laughing at your explanations!! Where is Wham's Christmas song?? that should totally be a top 5! and I love Taylor Swift's Christmas tree song :) I also like the hippopatamus song..ha!

Emily said...

I agree on Bottom 5, even though I've never heard of the hippo song?? I'll have to check out your top 5 - only know the iconic Mariah Carey!