Thursday, December 1, 2022

November 2022 Reads

Wow! It's my last book post of the year. {I will recap December books in January.} It's been a great year of reading - I'm ending the month with 114 books read. My highest year ever was 124 so would be neat if I could beat that number. We shall see!


This month I read 9 books - 4 by diverse authors and also 2 stories about LGBTQIA+ characters and some books that have turned into favorites for the year FOR SURE.


The Deep
 by Rivers Solomon [audiobook] - The BFBC chose this book after we saw a lot of backlash on social media about Ariel in the live-action The Little Mermaid being Black {giant eye-roll}. This story had such a unique premise around a civilization of mermaids being born from enslaved pregnant African women thrown overboard. When I finished with this, I had to sit with it for a while. It was not what I expected and was darker than I thought it would be {why I thought this subject would be light, I don't know?}, but it was a fascinating imagining and our book club had A LOT of deep and thoughtful conversation. I'm not sure I can say I loved it, but I'm glad I read it!


This Book is Anti-Racist
 by Tiffany Jewell - I bought this book for the kids awhile back. Trent has read it, but I wanted to read it myself before reading it with Drew, and thought it was a great read for Drew's level to maybe middle school. I'm excited to read with her!


Kiss Her Once for Me by Alison Cochrun - My first F/F love story! I read The Charm Offensive {a M/M love story} earlier this year and loved it! I liked this one a lot {fake dating trope}, just not quite as much as The Charm Offensive. I like that this author continues to address stereotypes around mental health too!


The Secret Keeper of Jaipur
 by Alka Joshi - This is the 2nd book in The Henna Artist trilogy. I read The Henna Artist in 2020, but my work book club picked it to read in October, so I listened to it and while it was fresh in my mind decided to read this. I really am digging this trilogy and love the characters. I especially love stories in India given I work with so many people in India, i have really grown to love the Indian culture and enjoyed this story's look at India in the 1960s.


On the Banks of Plum Creek
 by Laura Ingalls Wilder - Continuing my read of this series with Drew. She is really enjoying it, and I do appreciate seeing the world through Laura's eyes. Am I LOVING them? No. Do I think I would have loved them as a kid? Probably.


The Holiday Trap by Roan Parrish - This is a story based on the premise of the movie The Holiday - 2 people who are unhappy swap houses over the holidays. The twist with this version is both characters are LGBTQIA+ {one man, one woman, both are gay}. I enjoyed this book but liked 1 story more than the other, so it made it fly in certain chapters and drag a little in others. Overall, it was a good one.


Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan - This is chick lit done right. Nora writes Hallmark channel-esque screenplays but wrote a screenplay about the downfall of her marriage that is being made into a 'real' movie - this follows what happens when the cast comes to film part of the movie at her house. Nora and her kids/friends were delightful, I'm half in love with Leo, and the ending was just the best.


Carrie Soto Is Back 
by Taylor Jenkins Reid - TJR is a goddess. All of her books are literary magic, and this was no exception. I read this in about 24 hours, couldn't put it down. It follows Carrie Soto {we met her briefly in Malibu Rising} who is attempting a return to professional tennis - I loved Carrie's personality {she's called 'The Battle Axe' or 'The Bitch' ha}, loved the relationship with her dad, loved watching her and Bowe, it was just top-notch!


The Kingdom of Copper
 by S.A. Chakraborty - I read The City of Brass last month and picked up the 2nd book in the trilogy this month. This is a really well-done fantasy trilogy - really detailed world building, great character development, interesting plot. At the same time, it just feels slow? It felt like it took me forever to read {it is 600 pages}. I'm excited to see how it ends...but also feel like I need a rest from it so I won't finish until 2023 for sure.


3 comments:

Natasha said...

I know this wasn't the point but YOU DIDN'T READ LAURA INGALLS WILDER AS A KID?!?!?!?!

Kathryn Bagley said...

The Deep sounds interesting...I have not read anything. December BC book is always a novel of some sort. I am however listening to Grimmcast!

Emily said...

"TJR is a goddess" I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! Her books are outstanding. I truly loved this one with all my heart and it is tied for first place with Seven Husbands and Daisy Jones.