Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Lasik!

On Friday, I had Lasik! I've worn glasses since the summer before 4th grade and contacts since the summer before 7th grade. Over 30 years of my life I've had poor vision! And it's pretty terrible. 

This was the oldest picture I could find on my laptop of me in glasses.
This has to be college but not totally sure on the year - we'll say 2000?
I wish I had a picture of my first pair of glasses - they were SO ugly!

I've been dreaming of Lasik for a long time, but it always seemed so expensive and there were always better things to do with our money. BUT we changed our insurance in 2022, and I decided to take the plunge. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision to call about a consultation. I talked to the doctor's office on 12/2, had my consultation 12/5, and had the procedure on 12/16!

2009 with baby Trent - gaaaaah!

The whole procedure took 5 minutes, it was crazy how fast it went! It was a pretty intense 5 minutes, but my eyes were numb, and I had Xanax so it could have been worse ha!

Last day with glasses!

By the time we got home, my eyes were burning very badly {to be expected}, and I couldn't even open my eyes. I took my 2nd Xanax, put on an iced eye mask, and went to sleep for 12 hours.

When I woke up Saturday morning, I COULD SEE. There was a little bit of cloudiness {like when my contacts are dirty} and some tenderness but no burning or pain. My eyes are a bit bruised, but it's crazy to be able to see after over 30 years. We had Paige's birthday party on Saturday {pictures to come later this week}, and I was totally fine, yay!

I had a follow-up appointment Monday and my vision is 20/20!!! The cloudiness should clear up within a few weeks {and it's not a big deal at all, just not CRISP}. I keep laughing at myself because I reach for my glasses when I wake up or go to take out my contacts after my shower - old habits die hard I guess!

I'm using antibiotic eyedrops for a week and lubricating drops for months {with decreasing frequency}, but that's it!

I am 100% so so so happy I did this! Brent will probably do it next year - I'm so excited for him!!


3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

Congrats friend!! Have you ever watched King of Queens? This reminds me of the episode where Doug gets Carrie Lasik for her birthday cause he found a "coupon" and it was horrible..ha!

Natasha said...

I've always been tempted to try this but my second cousin had it and within six months her vision was back to what it was before, so I've always been a bit hesitant. We'll see where you're at in six months and I'll think about it again then!!! But I'm glad your experience was fairly smooth, overall.

Emily said...

I'm so happy for you! Adam did LASIK a few years ago and is so incredibly happy with the results. He did say that the laser burning his eye was one of his worst moments in his life, but as you said, it's only 5 minutes, so he survived.