Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Oscar Award Predictions!!

Allison and I made it through all 8 movies nominated for Best Picture. Unfortunately, that leaves a few people off of the Best Actor, Actress, and Supporting categories, but I still have my own favorites.  Here are my predictions!

Best Picture
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Boyhood*
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Whiplash
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
American Sniper

*I think Boyhood should and will win. It was such a unique concept that could have been a disaster but wasn't. Now it wasn't my favorite movie {that was The Imitation Game}, but I definitely think it deserves to win. Birdman is a top contender which I must just say 1 more time - it was a TERRIBLE movie  - just absolutely terrible. If it wins, I will be beyond upset.

Best Actor
Steve Carell in Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper in American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton in Birdman
Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything*

*I found The Theory of Everything to be a little boring, but Eddie Redmayne was amazing in his portrayal of Stephen Hawking. He transforms himself into someone living with ALS in such a believable way. I didn't see Foxcatcher, but I could honestly be okay with any of these actors winning. They all did amazing. I still think David Oyelowo in Selma should have been nomiated and honestly could have won the whole thing.

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard in Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones in The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore in Still Alice*
Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon in Wild

*Allison and I commented last night that the Best Actress category is the one that always seems to correlate least to the Best Picture nominees, so I've only see The Theory of Everything and Gone Girl. I have heard that Julianne Moore was amazing in Still Alice and she won the SAG and Golden Globe, so I think she'll win. I love all these actresses and would be happy with all.

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall in The Judge
J.K. Simmons in Whiplash*
Ethan Hawke in Boyhood
Edward Norton in Birdman
Mark Ruffalo in Foxcatcher

J.K. Simmons was INSANE in Whiplash. I've only seen 3/5 of these films, but I can't imagine anyone being better than J.K. Simmons. Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors of all time, so if he won I'd be happy.

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette in Boyhood*
Keira Knightley in The Imitation Game
Laura Dern in Wild
Emma Stone in Birdman
Meryl Streep in Into the Woods

*I'm 3/5 in this category as well, but Patricia Arquette was really awesome in Boyhood. I loved Keira Knightley and am rooting for her {as one of my faves}, but I think Patricia will win.

Best Director
Richard Linklater for Boyhood*
Alejandro G. Inarritu for Birdman
Bennett Miller for Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson for The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tyldum for The Imitation Game

*The reason I think Boyhood should win Best Picture is why I think Richard Linklater should win Best Director. It is just a concept that has never been done before and turned into a beautiful movie. 

[Sidebar - I love that 2 of the Best Director nominees are from Texas {Wes Anderson and Richard Linklater} and 2 of the films were set in Texas/about Texans {Boyhood and American Sniper}. What up, Texas!!!!!]

So we'll see in a few hours whether I'm right or not!

1 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

You didn't do too bad! It was so hard to know which way they were gonna go with Director and Picture.