Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Recipe: Chicken and Wild Rice Crock Pot Soup

I'm trying to work out my recipe rolodex. It is currently in pitiful shape. I don't cook very often, and I cook the same stuff repeatedly. Now that I'm going to be working from home {100% remember? grin}, I am optimistic that I will be able to cook more. {Who knows - a month from now I might laugh at that optimism.} So anyway, yesterday I made a 100 Days of Real Food crock pot recipe. It was easy {prep time was maybe 20 minutes}! It was healthy! It was good!

Ingredients:

  • medium onion, 1/2 - chopped
  • 3 celery ribs - diced
  • 6 - 8 ounces fresh mushroom {full disclosure - I skipped this}
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup whole grain wild rice
  • 1 pound raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 tsp salt {I think it needed a little more}
  • 1/2 tsp pepper {ditto the salt}
  • 8 cups chicken broth {I think next time I will do 6 cups and make it thicker}
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Optional topping - toasted almonds {I forgot to buy these!}
Cooking:
  • Combine everything but broth and cream in crock pot.
  • Cover with broth.
  • Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
  • Top with cream and mix. Add toasted almonds.
  • EAT


0 comments: