Thursday, September 4, 2014

Oh September...

The forecast for the next 10 days is pretty indicative of Austin this time of year. It's going to be about 100 for 8 of the 10 days and then will finally {hopefully, unless it changes...which it's prone to do} drop into the 80s. 

When I was a kid and a teenager, I LOATHED the end of summer. I mourned the start of fall and the beginning of fall. I hate to be cold, I despise sweaters and winter clothes. When I was a junior in college, in mid-September, it was 114 degrees, and I had to walk about 1,876 miles to my car while I contemplated passing out in the heat. About that point, I stopped hating when the weather started to cool off.

2011

But now it represents the start of my favorite season - I love Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas! Every month gets better and better. Normally I start decorating in early September with pumpkins, then in October I add Halloween decor, and then in November I replace those with turkeys and pilgrims.

2012

Today I was in Target and I saw the cutest pumpkins, and I wanted them SO bad. But alas, we're in our apartment and all my decorating stuff is in storage. SOB. This is going to be rough for me to make it through the most wonderful time of the year with no, zero, zilch, nada for decorations. I really wish I could at least set our Christmas tree up, but I really don't think we'll even have room for that.

So I used to hate September, now I love it, but this year I'll be really sad. Everybody clear? Bring on the Starbucks holiday cups - I can drown my sorrows in my festive chai lattes!

5 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

This is my favorite time of the year too.
Bummer about the decorations!! I would be super sad too. And, you HAVE TO GET A TREE!!
I generally decorate with football stuff in Sept. and bust out the pumpkins October 1st. Tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving :)

Kathryn Bagley said...

I say go back and get those pumpkins :) A little decoration won't hurt!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I've never hated the fall. I like it fine. But I love summer. Especially this summer. This was a great summer.

Melissa said...

We are in the same boat! Closing about feb or march :(

Anonymous said...

I love that there will be no decorations. Give me Thanksgiving, the rest are terrible. - B