Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Meal Prep: A Community Affair

Alternatively Titled: An Easy Recipe for a Picky Toddler

I got up early this morning to make dinner (sounds weird, huh?) because Trent spent the night with his Nana and Papa last night.  As I've discussed many times, Trent is a picky eater.  So I have to work to sneak good stuff in his meals.  So let's dissect tonight's dinner, shall we?

I posted a few months ago about my first meeting with 'my' homeopath.  I naively thought I could switch {somewhat} Trent to a dairy-free, gluten-free diet with ease.  HA!  A friend, Jaclyn (hi Jaclyn!), sent me a link to a friend of hers who has an autistic son therefore requiring a special diet.

I sent the link to my co-worker and fellow hippie mama, Jenna, who is also a little nuts about her son.  (And of course I mean that in the best possible way)  Jenna was trying recipes left and right and having great success with her son loving them.  I tried one, and it was a hit with Trent and me!

I don't want to take credit for this recipe in any way, so here's the link with tons of pictures.  

Lamb and Zucchini Meatballs
2# ground lamb (except I have only used ground beef and it's awesome)
3 zucchini
Salt, pepper, oregano

Peel and cut up zucchini
Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree zucchini

But wait!  I don't have a food processor or immersion blender.  Another friend, Emily, recommended one when making smoothies for her son, Wyatt.  So off to BB&B I went to purchase this same hand mixer.

Mix together zucchini puree, ground meat and seasoning to taste.

Mash into small-ish meatballs (ends up making around 20) and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  You can put a little olive oil on them if you want.

When they're done, lay on a paper town to drain.  Eat now or freeze!  I usually keep half in the fridge for immediate eating but also put some in the freezer and just take out the night before to pop into Trent's lunch for school.

So moral of this story - blogging is awesome.  And I'm a sneaky mom who will do just about anything to get my kid to eat his veggies.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Those sound great!! Keith and I will have to give them a whirl!

Jaclyn said...

HI Allena!!:) I'm so glad you found something that Trent likes and is healthy with veggies:) I sent Jennifer an email letting her know that she is famous now with a link to this post:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Allena! It's Jennifer. I'm glad the recipe worked out for you! My daughter takes the meatballs in her lunchbox every day as well. :)