Monday, November 14, 2011

South Pacific

Last night was our 2nd Broadway Across America show of this season.  It was Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific.  I honestly knew little to nothing about this production other than 'I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair' - please tell me you know that song and it's not just me??


A short snipit from Wikipedia about the play: South Pacific is a musical with music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and book by Hammerstein and Joshua Logan. The story draws from James A. Michener's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1947 book Tales of the South Pacific, weaving together characters and elements from several of its stories into a single plotline about an American nurse at a U.S. Naval base, during World War II, who falls in love with an expatriate French plantation owner with a dark past. The issue of racial prejudice is sensitively and candidly explored in several plot threads, including the struggle of the lead character to accept the mixed-race children of her lover.


I thought the play was really good (although I got a little tired of the songs, there were A LOT).  And it was fun to see a play I had never seen and didn't know the plot.  I may be a dork, but it's fun adding to my list of plays I've seen.


In the next 5 weeks, I'll see A Tuna Christmas, The Lion King (in Vegas baby - thanks work for sending me to a training there), and Beauty and the Beast.  Super excited!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous of The Lion King! It looks awesome. - Allison

Kelly said...

South Pacific was one of the first musicals I ever saw. (I think Oklahoma was the first) and I remember liking it but it isn't my first choice but I definitely know the song! :)