Monday, August 9, 2010

Review: True Blood Season 1

After reading all 10 (to-date) of the Southern Vampire books, I've been watching the show based on the books, True Blood. You'd have to live under a rock to have not at least heard of True Blood.

Synopsis: True Blood chronicles the backwoods Louisiana town of Bon Temps... where vampires have emerged from the coffin, and no longer need humans for their fix. Sookie Stackhouse works as a waitress at the local bar, Merlotte's. Though outwardly a typical young woman, she keeps a dangerous secret: she has the ability to hear the thoughts of others. Her situation is further complicated when the bar gets its first vampire patron - 173-year old vampire Bill Compton - and the two outsiders are immediately drawn to each other.

My thoughts: I enjoyed watching the series and can see how so many people have been sucked (ha ha) into it, but I think the books are way better (which is usually how I feel). Had I not read the books, I'm not sure I'd keep up with the show, but I'm interested to see if the series will keep following with the books...sorta. The first season has the same outline as the first book but many extra characters and plot lines. Overall, I really enjoy it but wouldn't trade the books for it!

Favorite character? Most definitely, Lafayette!!! He is awesome, hooka.


Has anybody else read the books vs. watched the show? If so, what do you think? How do they compare?

2 comments:

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

I never read the books but have watched every episode of True Blood out there. My only complaint is the seriously bad acting, but it gets a little bit better with each season.

A Real Housewife said...

i heart the books. the last one, though, left me wondering if she's writing another. is she? kind of leaves you hanging...

i would love the show more if they got rid of tara. she isn't a big character in the books and i can't stand her character on the show! i also hated marian, and she only has a tiny part in the book. thank god she's dead! i'm so sweet.... ;)