Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Movie Review: Where'd You Go Bernadette?

As I mentioned yesterday, Allison and I got a wild hair and saw another movie last week! We hadn't seen one since the end of May and saw 2 in 5 days haha. I read Where'd You Go Bernadette last month and was excited the movie was coming out this month, so it worked out well that Allison wanted to see it too.


Plot: A loving mom becomes compelled to reconnect with her creative passions after years of sacrificing herself for her family. Her leap of faith takes an epic adventure that jump-starts her life and leads to her triumphant rediscovery.

Review: I thought they did a great job of turning the book into a movie. I did wonder how it would come together given the first half of the book is told through letters and emails, and I thought the movie was done well! Main thoughts: 1) I thought Cate Blanchette was phenomenal as Bernadette - she is such a quirky character but largely because she's too quick/smart/creative than everyone else in her world, and I love how that played out on screen. To be fair, Allison got annoyed with Bernadette, but I thought Cate was just amazing. 2) Since I just finished the book, I remembered the plot better than Allison did, so I noticed the changes made to the movie. Overall, I agreed with them. The changes were largely done just to fit into a 2-hour movie - little details or secondary plots cut out. There was 1 big thing near the end cut out that I was actually really glad was cut out because it left a really bad taste in my mouth in the book. 3) Just like in the book, the last 1/3 felt a little long - not bad, just long. I highly enjoyed the book, and I highly enjoyed the movie!

2 comments:

Emily said...

So happy to hear a positive review. Curious what they cut out at the end (my guess would be the pregnancy).

Kathryn Bagley said...

One of my BC members just read this so I might have to look into it! Still listening to Educated and ugh!