Thursday, January 21, 2016

Another Movie Trifecta

Allison and I've managed to see another 3 movies in the last 2 weeks. Allison has now seen all the films nominated for Best Picture, and I somehow still have 3 to go (eek!). So we've moved onto Best Actor/Actress. We saw Carol, The Revenant, and Joy.

Carol
Plot: An aspiring photographer develops an intimate relationship with an older woman.
Review: I can sum up my feelings for this movie with one letter: zzzzzzzzz. This movie is based on a book written in the 1950s. I would imagine a lesbian love story would be very scandalous 60 years ago. Today? Snoozefest. Allison and I both felt the story was really lacking - you never get to know Rooney's character or Cate's character - they are just really flat. We both thought it could have been so much more...but wasn't. Blah.

The Revenant
Plot: A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting party.
Review: Man, was this movie intense and great! I described The Martian as Armageddon meets Castaway, and this definitely felt like a similar movie - guy on his own battling the odds to survive. We spent a lot of the film peeking through our eyes because it was pretty gory, and I might have had high blood pressure through most of it, but it really kept us on the edge of our seats and rooting for the main character. So far I really want Leo to win Best Actor - he was SO good!

Joy
Plot: Joy is the story of the title character, who rose to become founder and matriarch of a powerful family business dynasty.
Review: About 2/3 of the way through this movie, Allison turned to me and said 'I'm bored.' The characters were just beyond ridiculous, the plot was meh, the whole thing was an annoying mess. Was Jennifer Lawrence great? Yes. Was the movie? No.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I NEVER would have thought The Revenant would be my favorite movie on this lost or that I would have actually liked it. Once you get past the gore, that is. - AP

Karen Peterson said...

I liked but didn't love The Revenant. Yes, Leo was very good, but I am kind of sad that he's going to finally win his long-overdue Oscar for a movie that isn't his best performance. But, that's how it goes. And I'm glad he's probably going to win. Because he's awesome and I've loved him since Growing Pains.

I'm going to see The Big Short tonight and I'm glad about it. I've been wanting to see it for weeks!

Kathryn Bagley said...

I haven't seen any of those movies..shocker!! Although Joy really reminded me of Silver Linings Playbook so I figured it would be about the same. I did take the kids to see Alvin and the Chipmunks on Monday..got very sleepy through it!