Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Seeing Red About Gray

***Pulls out soapbox. Turns on microphone.***

Y'all. I have had several people {some more than once} comment on my gray hair and tell me 'I need to get to the salon and get my hair fixed.' These people are then shocked {and sometimes not very happy} to find that I DON'T color my hair on purpose and won't be hiding my gray. And it honestly pisses me off!

Gray hair in all its NATURAL glory

Why are other people so offended when I don't ascribe to their definition of beauty, and - MORE IMPORTANTLY - why is our standard of beauty tied to not showing our age? Why is it their business? 

I have a few reasons for not wanting to color my hair: First, it's expensive and not where I want to spend my disposable income. A family of 5 with 3 kids is expensive, and I can't buy whatever I want. So I would much rather spend my frivolous money on so many other things! Second, it's a losing battle. My hair will only get grayer. It will only need more hair dye and more frequent application. Third, I don't think gray hair is bad, and I don't want my girls to think so either.

I don't say all this to be sanctimonious and act like I'm thrilled to be getting older - I use quite a few serums to combat my wrinkles ha! BUT I just don't get why other people think it's their business about what I do with my hair {or face or body or anything?}. 

I found it very interesting that this was on IG this week!

If only other people would let it be my personal choice!


2 comments:

Emily said...

STANDING OVATION!!! I'm proud of you keeping your grays! It speaks to the horrendous ageism and sexism in our society that women are automatically expected to dye their hair. Full disclosure: I do cover up my grays now, but I know there will be a time in the future where I let it go and I appreciate people like you blazing the way so stragglers like me can benefit when we finally follow.

Kathryn Bagley said...

Is it bad of me to ask "who these people are". First off you are so beautiful (inside and out). I completely commend you on keeping your hair the way it is! Before I even read it on your blog my initial thought was why is it any of whoever's business? It's not! If that's what YOU want to do then go for it! ha!