Monday, July 22, 2019

Dangle That Carrot

One thing I've figured out about me is my favorite type of competition is to compete against...myself. 

If I'm playing cards or a board game, sure it's fun to win, but I don't get upset if I lose. If I'm playing sports, I'm so nervous I'm going to mess-up, I usually try to avoid any action and not have anybody notice me. I don't really get this trait of mine because I normally LOVE to be the center of attention, but NOT when it comes to sports. I was great at defense in basketball, but as soon as I got the ball, I was trying to pass it away. In volleyball, I prayed the ball never came near me. Even as an adult, when we play sloshball, I'm so nervous when it's my turn to kick and pray the ball goes everywhere else when I'm in the outfield.

However, when I have a set of goals and the only thing I'm trying to do is prove that I can do something...I'm all in. Prime Examples: completing Whole 30 twice, Drew's unmedicated birth {Do you know how many people told me I wouldn't be able to do it? Oh yeah, watch me!}, using cloth diapers {same story}. Just give me a goal that's all about ME achieving something, and I'm your girl.

Enter...Jazzercise competitions! I've mentioned this before, but I'm participating in a summer challenge with a partner to get 80 classes together between June and July, and you better believe I've been obsessively counting my classes and making sure we'l hit it to win that prize. The prize? A bag. Is it about the bag? Not even 1%. I want to FINISH THE CHALLENGE. {There was one in February that I didn't compete in that I'm still mad about.}

Wouldn't you do jazzercise 6 times/week for this bag? {grin}

There's also a challenge to hit 150 classes in a calendar year. This challenge happens every year. And you can win...a tank top. But what does that tank top represent? That I crushed that goal. I started out the year slow, so I basically need to go 4 times/week the rest of the year to get there. Think I'll make it? You can bet I'm going to do everything I can to make it happen.

Keeping my eye on this prize!

Is anyone else like this? Only competitive with yourself? Or am I just a weirdo? Ha!

2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I'm totally the same way! Only when I'm doing competitions where the likelihood of me winning a place is high I put an extreme amount of pressure on myself. I haven't been running as much lately and my pace has been a bit slower so that has stopped me from running races..because i don't want to lose! BUT I signed up for one this upcoming weekend and it's a pretty hard course. I don't expect to place so I'm hoping I can just enjoy the run and being with some of my running friends..will i be slightly disappointed if I don't place..yes, but I'll be ok! I'm so proud of you with the jazzercise challenge..and you are totally going to rock it!

Emily said...

Omg I am TOTALLY that way about sports. I’m like “no get the ball away from me”; I think it’s because I know I’m bad and I don’t want to showcase my poor skills. And YES on carrot dangling. One of my best weight loss periods was a competition with a coworker and a weekly weighin and whoever lost the least (as a % of total) bought the other lunch at the winner’s choice. She would pick places I hated (chipotle and qdoba) and I’d pick the $11 lobster roll place. Carrot dangling for the win!