Monday, July 29, 2019

Let's Talk About Podcasts

I used to listen to a morning radio show. When I say 'used to' I mean for about 15 years. But for the last 6 months or so I've really been enjoying different podcasts and wanted to share the ones I've been loving and see if any of you listen to any good ones I should be listening to!


There have been 2 'seasons' of Binge Mode - a deep dive through every episode of Game of Thrones and a 63-episode look back at the Harry Potter series. If you know me at all or have read my blog at all...you know these are 2 of my favorite things. The 2 hosts, Mallory and Jason, are huge fantasy nerds [said lovingly], and I loved every stinking minute of this podcast and can't wait to hear what comes next from them!


Dirty John is a true crime podcast about a man named John Meehan who leads a life of deceit and abuse, and it specifically follows his relationship with a woman named Debra Newell. They met on the internet and within months were married. This was such a well-done story about such a difficult topic, and it was fascinating. There's also a Bravo show based on the podcast that I want to watch!


For full disclosure, I've only listened to 1 episode of Broken Brain, but it was so interesting! It covered how we self-consciously think about ourselves, for example 'I'm fat' and what that inner dialogue does to ourselves and how to end that negative self-talk. I really want to listen to more!


Holy cow! I think I said 'This is insane!' while listening to Dr. Death easily 15 times. Dr. Christopher Duntsch was a neurosurgeon in Dallas who physically injured {some paralyzed for ever} or KILLED over 30 patients. It covers many of his surgeries, the difficulty in getting him stopped, and when he was tried for his crimes. MIND-BLOWINGLY GOOD.


Spoiler alert - I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark this month, which is a book about the Golden State Killer. This podcast also covers the same topic. Why do women have a fascination with serial killers and true crime? Don't know, but I SO do. I have been equal parts creeped out {not a good idea to be listening to this one late at night while alone} and enjoying every minute.

Some others I've heard about and want to try: Stuff You Missed in History Class, Root of Evil, Culpable, Murderville, and What Should I Read Next.

What are you listening to that I might like? Share, share share!

1 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I don't have an iphone so not sure if i can listen to podcasts! but some of the ones you suggested sound good!