Thursday, May 9, 2019

Lining Up Our Summer Plans

I can't wrap my brain around the fact that the kids are out of school in a matter of WEEKS. Paige has 12 days left, and the big 2 kids have 15 days left. DAYS. Did you see that? We are down to DAYS. 

The summer is equal parts awesome and stressful, and I need to do quite a few things to prep for it!

First, the summer is awesome because it means no morning routine. I work from home {have I ever mentioned that before? haha}, so I love that all summer the kids can sleep in! 

Second, no rushing to prepare breakfast or pack lunches, hollering over and over 'Get dressed!' 'Brush your teeth!' 'What are you doing?', not driving to-and-from school. None of that!

Me EVERY school day morning

It's really nice being able to have a relaxed morning, and I can't lie - I enjoy sleeping in too!!! Could I get up and work out? Could I get up and clean? Could I get up and get some work done early? The answer to all of these questions is NO. I couldn't. I refuse to. {grin}

The cons to the kids being home are:

  • They are noisy - it can be challenging to have a conference call with 3 children playing/screaming in the next room.
  • They get bored very easily - for kids who complain about school and even have an entire playroom of toys, they sure do whine about boredom a lot. 
  • They like me - even with a nanny, they bug me a lot - it's nice to feel the love but also can be annoying/stressful while...you know...trying to DO MY JOB.
By the end of the summer, I'm ready for school to start again, but right now I'm really excited! But I also need to do a lot to get ready to have all 3 of them home.

I need to get the playroom organized - I try to do it twice a year and it takes me SEVERAL hours. We just lined up our summer nanny - it's Brent's cousin's daughter and I'm so excited, she is the sweetest - so I'm hoping she can come over soon to spend some time with the kids {see them in their own environment versus Brent's grandma's at holidays ha} and I can clean, purge, and organize!

I also need to get supplies! I always go to Hobby Lobby and stock up on new art supplies and outdoor games and just new 'stuff' to spread throughout the summer to hopefully stave off boredom. 

I've also been looking at summer camps and activities to combat the boredom. For activities so far, Paige is going to do a dance class at Drew's dance studio and her swim lessons, Trent is signed up for a summer basketball league, and Drew will do swim lessons in the neighborhood pool. There are also activities at the library and movie theater, and I'm also looking at art camps, VBS, etc. but so far the kids aren't interested ha.

So yeah...a lot to do and prepare for {a lot of it mental preparation ha}


3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

Dollar tree has some fun (yet cheap) crafty kind of stuff for kids also! Can't wait to hear about all your summer fun!

Erika said...

Glad you got a nanny lined up!! That is definitely a relief. I can't imagine trying to get anything done with Millie in the house...you're a brave woman!! :)

Emily said...

I feel the same way about summer. I look forward to it so much but by the end I’m DONE. Like we just had spring break last month and those lazy mornings were soooo nice. OH and today I found out we got into our neighborhood pool (they had some late cancellations so we were let in after initially they said we’d wait for 2020).