Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate

One of the things we had at Paige's 2nd birthday party was hot chocolate and lots of it! I had seen a slow cooker hot chocolate recipe on Mix & Match Mama's blog for a while and finally decided to try it. I've been reading her blog for years but have only tried a few of her recipes and, honestly, have been mostly disappointed in them. I am BY NO MEANS a food critic or expert chef, but the ones I've tried just fell flat for me. However, this recipe looked easy and delicious, so I gave it a whirl. The reason I'm blogging about it is because I feel like her recipe didn't quite work out as expected and while it's a great recipe in theory, I wanted to document it out for when real people might want to try it, ha.


Ingredients:
2 14-ounce cans of sweetened, condensed milk
2 12-ounce bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips***
1 gallon of milk {I used whole but Mix & Match Mama said she uses 2%}
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream, candy canes, marshmallows, etc. for garnish

1. Layer your sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips and turn your slow cooker on high and stir every 15 minutes.
2. Once your chocolate chips have melted, add in milk and vanilla and stir.
3. Cover and continue to cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring periodically.

In theory, that sounds super easy, right?

***WELL, we had a slight overflow situation because of too much chocolate. We ended up having to also cook hot chocolate in my big soup pot on the stove and had to add in a lot more milk. Going forward I will make this again because it was SO good, BUT I will probably do about half the chocolate chips to start with and then add until the flavor is right.

This recipe is really good...after you get the proportions right!

3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

sounds delicious!

Emily said...

Mmmm it certainly looks delicious!

Natasha said...

I've heard quite a few people say that Shay's recipes don't work for them. It's a bit of a problem. If we had a slow cooker, I'd be pulling out this recipe today because we're on our second snow day since February started. Urgh.