Monday, November 20, 2017

My Motherhood Gems

Two things have happened in the last week or so that, when connected, define my hopes as a mother.

One morning last week, I went to wake up both of the big kids for school. As I left Drew's room, I looked at Paige's shut door {she gets to sleep in about 10 minutes longer than the bigs}, and it hit me {like it does every once in a while} that I have 3 kids. After almost 11 months of Paige being in our family, I am still in awe that the wish I held for so long was fulfilled. I'm not sure it will ever cease to amaze me. And I never want it to. I never want to take for granted these 3 precious gifts I am blessed to call mine.

I also read the following passage in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. The backstory is the main character received some very shocking and upsetting news just as her mother was coming to visit. When her mother gets off the plane, she falls apart.

I feel no pressure to stop crying. I feel no need to explain myself. You don't have to make yourself OK for a good mother; a good mother makes herself OK for you. And my mother has always been a good mother, a great mother.

Isn't that the most simple, yet beautiful, definition of motherhood? When I read that, I could 100% identify my mother in that statement. She is selfless, caring, loving, generous, affectionate, kind...basically amazing. And I hope when my children are adults they feel the same way about me.

And because I suck at figuring out how to end most of my blog posts, how about 1 of the 134 pictures I took trying to get a good shot for Paige's 1st birthday party invitation.

The winner!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that passage! Glad you shared. -AP

Emily said...

I'm so happy you can realize your dream of 3 kids! I always wanted 5 (and still do) but unless I randomly end up pregnant with triplets, I don't see that happening. I do love that quotation from the book and I'm so happy you have a good relationship with your mom. I go off-and-on with my mom and it averages right around "okay," not great by okay. Over half your attributes do not fit my mother at all. Which is something I struggle with that I do NOT want to be that mother to my kids. Maybe my kids won't totally adore me, but I'd like to end up further down the relationship spectrum than "okay" haha.

Kathryn Bagley said...

I think you are a fantastic mom and have enjoyed reading your journey mothering these 3 precious babies!