Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January 2017 Reads


I had really low expectations for myself this month for how much I would read. I think you guys all know how much I love to read, but I just wasn't sure how it would all play out. One of my favorite times of day is when I get into bed and read and that can sometimes end up lasting way longer than it should, but with a newborn in the house, my goal is to get to sleep as quickly as I can after I get Paige down to maximize my sleep, so I typically only read for 15 minutes at night. And during the day I am usually too brain dead and use the TV as my entertainment. So I was pretty darn proud of 5 books in January!


Bay of Sighs by Nora Roberts - The second book in another supernatural Nora trilogy. Same review as the first book - not one of her best, but I love me some Nora so I keep coming back. If you are a Nora fan, you'll like {if not love} this trilogy. On the waiting list for the 3rd book at the library but should get it in soon!

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella - I enjoyed the Shopaholic books and everything else I've read of Sophie Kinsella's, but Wedding Night is not her best. When the main character doesn't get proposed to like she thought, she breaks up with her boyfriend and within days is engaged to an ex-boyfriend. That part was a fun premise - who is the right guy? But her sister is trying to break the marriage up and THAT storyline was super tedious. I was so annoyed with the sister!

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase - Sarina is happily almost engaged and growing her own architecture business when an old {important} flame comes back into her life and hires her to remodel his house. The attraction and connection is still there...so which guy is right for her? Interesting that it kind of sounds like Wedding Night but this book was SO much better. Was it amazing? No. Did I have a good time reading it? Yes!

A Modern Fairy Tale by Jane Green - Jane Green is an author I can always go to when I don't have something specific in mind to search for. So I was excited to find this short book about William & Kate, Charles & Diana, and Phillip & Elizabeth. It compared and contrasted their courtships, engagements, weddings, marriages, etc. I love all things Windsor so this was a fun and quick read.

Mariana by Susana Kearsley - Julia Beckett impulsively buys a house years after first seeing it at 5 and proclaiming 'That's my house'. Almost as soon as she moves in she starts having flashbacks of Mariana Farr's life in the same house. Very good read that kept me interested in 2 stories and guessing until the end for how both would play out and how Julia and Mariana were connected. I really like Susana Kearsley and really REALLY liked this story!

You can probably tell I was trying to keep things light and fun this month, and I think I pretty well succeeded. I missed our January book club meeting because Drew was sick, but I plan to read that book this month...and it's a true crime novel about a serial killer, so here's hoping I don't lose it reading that one!

4 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

The one that got away looks good! I am determined to finish our BC book this month :)

Anonymous said...

I want to know what the true crime book is...-AP

Anonymous said...

I read all of Sophie Kinsella's books, but they're getting less and less imaginative. I haven't read this one yet and may skip it.

Karen Peterson said...

I've read several of Sophie Kinsella's books. I find them fun and easy, but sometimes a little frustrating.

You read so much it puts me to shame!