Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

I read a really good book last week worth blogging about, The Fault in Our Stars. It got released over 2 years ago, but since the movie is just now out, I actually heard about it for the first time recently.


PlotHazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving.

Review: This book is YA and definitely feels that way with some aspects of the plot, but it is easy to look past that because I loved the story. Augustus and Hazel are just neat characters. I laughed out loud so many times and, given it's a book about cancer, cried several times too. Even though Hazel is the voice of the book, I found myself thinking about life from her point of view but also from the point of view of her parents...pretty intense. Overall, it is a GREAT story, and I can't wait to go see the movie! 

{Weird sidebar: I saw the preview for the first time when I saw Divergent. The actors who portray Augustus and Hazel ALSO are in Divergent as...brother and sister. It was a little creepy seeing them making out in a preview for them to be brother and sister 5 minutes later, ha.}

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I have had the book on my To Read list for such a long time. I need to finally get around to it!

Also, your sidebar is too funny!

Kathryn Bagley said...

I was thinking about making this one of my choices for my month! And I remember we thought it was weird they were in another movie together..lol!