Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Traditions - My Faves From Childhood

Hello 6 days until Christmas!  My first 'Week of Christmas' post is all about childhood traditions for Christmas.  Growing up, we did the same thing every year for Christmas.  My parents were high school sweethearts and their parents lived approximately 1.2 miles apart.  So as kids, we always spent Christmas Eve with my mom's parents, siblings and all our cousins.  Christmas Day was spent with my dad's mom.  Every year.  Loved it!

2 Swope girls excited for Christmas!

What I loved SO much at my Granny's house was we took turns opening presents.  My dad's side of the family is very small.  He has 1 brother who had 1 daughter.  Growing up, for the most part, there were 7 people on Christmas Day.  So we went in a circle, each opening 1 present at a time.  For a kid, it made present-opening take about 2 hours.  A.W.E.S.O.M.E.  We now continue that tradition at my parents' house.  (Brent hates it - ha)


Me with my Granny getting my favorite doll (Victoria) - Christmas '84-ish

At my Mamaw and Pops' house, insanity was the name of the evening.  My mom is 1 of 7 kids, so there would be about 30 people every year.  We would always sing carols as a family (including the 12 Days of Christmas where we split the 12 days between everybody) and we always made champagne punch.  It really doesn't taste that good, but we made it year after year.


4 Lindemann cousins making champagne punch (Drinking age?  What's that?)

Now our traditions have changed (yes, I am dedicating a post to our 'new' traditions), but I will always remember my Christmases growing up!

My sweetheart - Christmas '98

And even though these are my Christmas traditions, I couldn't miss a chance to post this adorableness.  Brent - Christmas '82-ish.

What is your favorite Christmas tradition(s)?

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

As you read about in my guest post from my sister last week, my favorite tradition was always sleeping in the same room with my sisters on Christmas Eve :) Obviously we don't do that anymore, though!

Kelly said...

Aw! I love your family! And that picture of you and Brent in front of the Christmas tree...do you remember I used to call that your "A Wedding Story" picture! haha!

Anonymous said...

My parents had some awful taste - Brent

Anonymous said...

So much fun!! I love Christmas too and love reading about your traditions. You are such a cutie in that first pic! And Brent is too! Please get Trent a horse and recreate this! Rhonda

Monica Curry said...

We always took turns (youngest to oldest) opening gifts, and actually still do when we're at my moms...and my husband HATES it too! he says he doesn't like people watching him waiting for a reaction. MEN!

the blogivers said...

I think this could totally count for WBW :) Feel free to link up!