Friday, March 1, 2024

February 2024 Book Review

It's book review day! I read 9 books this month - I said in my goals I was trying to read a little less to do more with Brent, but I'm not sure I know how to do this, ha. 


I had my usual assortment of light and fluffy and then some meatier books. So let's jump in!


Master Slave Husband Wife
 by Ilyon Woo [audiobook] - This was so interesting! It is nonfiction story about an enslaved husband and wife where the wife could pass for white and pretended to be a man and her husband was her slave and they escaped the south! I was on the edge of my seat - this could have been fiction! I do feel like it got a little long-winded (too much detail about the minor characters and events), but it was FASCINATING!


Shark Heart
 by Emily Habeck - Erika picked this for Blog Friend Book Club, and I LOVED it. It's a fantasy story - people end up with genetic mutations where they turn into animals, and this follows a newlywed couple where the husband is turning into a great white shark. It was so weird and such a unique premise, but I loved it! I finished it and thought 'Well, that was beautiful.' This book was pure poetry.


Bride
 by Ali Hazelwood - Ali Hazelwood is a goddess! I LOVED this! I already thought Ali Hazelwood wrote the cutest STEM rom-coms {and yes, I recognize they are also very similar with the tiny female who has no clue the giant man has been pining over her, I don't care, I love them}, but this was a paranormal love story about a Vampyre who must marry the Alpha leader of a Werewolf pack to protect the peace between their species. Yes, that sounds totally ridiculous but it was AWESOME!!


Brown Girl Dreaming
 by Jacqueline Woodson - This book of poetry was just lovely. It was like the stories just poured from the author. So beautifully written but you could FEEL the little girl in them. Just beautiful.


Done and Dusted
 by Lyla Sage - A librarian I follow on Instagram wrote about this book, and I wanted to pick it up. She wrote about it being a little silly {the woman is called 'sugar' a lot ha}, but it sounded fun. And it was! It isn't going to win awards, but it's cute, and it's the start of a trilogy and I can't wait to keep reading it.


A Court This Cruel & Lovely
 by Stacia Stark [audiobook] - Yes, this is another fantasy series! Will I read a million of them before I do? Yep, happily! In this world, people are born with power but it is drained of them to give to the Gods and a small amount is given back to them when they come of age. However, Priska retains her power, which is illegal, and she must escape and figure out how to survive. SO GOOD!


Scat
 by Carl Hiaasen - Drew and I are continuing to read this animal series by Carl Hiaasen. They are so goofy, but she enjoys them, ha. Definitely for elementary readers.


The Trayvon Generation
 by Elizabeth Alexander [audiobook] - Well, this just broke my heart. It was a beautiful story about our broken country. I teared up multiple times. The writing was incredible {there is a poem at the beginning by Clint Smith called Your National Anthem that was both beautiful and tragic}. Just absolutely excellent.


Destroy the Day
 by Brigid Kemmerer - This was the conclusion to a trilogy I started last year {the 2nd trilogy I've read by this author}, and I really enjoyed the conclusion! I would say this is YA and was just great!

So that was my month in reading, it was pretty darn good - my average rating was 4, up for me, yay! 


0 comments: