Wednesday, November 2, 2022

October 2022 Book Review

Another month of reading! This wasn't my biggest month of reading, but I read a book that is FOR SURE to be a favorite of the year for me, so it was an excellent month of reading in quality, if not quantity.


I read 8 books this month bringing my total to 105! I'm hoping I can get to 125, that would be my biggest year ever, beating last year by 1, ha. We shall see how the rest of the year goes...


The Ink Black Heart by Robert Galbraith - This was the 6th book in the Cormoran Strike series. I really love this series! The first book or two were 'good' but the series has moved into the excellent realm. The stories are complex and the character development is SO GOOD. My only complaint is the time between books ha!


The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman/Ross Campbell - This was a physical book I've had for several years that my mom bought me, so I finally decided to read it. It was fine. I do like the concept of love languages but think I would have benefited from this more had I read it as newer mom.


If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane - I read my first book by Mhairi McFarlane in June and didn't love it. This plot intrigued me {I'm a sucker for a good fake dating trope}, and this one was a winner for me! There were touches that were similar to The Wedding Season {with the long-term relationship breaking up and a lot of good self-discovery}. If it hadn't been a good one, I would have given up on Mhairi, but I will definitely keep reading her after this one!


The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai - Holy heartbreak! I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. I finished this in the middle of the month, and I'm still thinking about it. These characters and this storyline just punctured my heart. The plot is split into the mid 80s and 2015. I much preferred the 1980s plotline and didn't think the connection was super strong between the 2 plotlines {I mean they do connect...but I didn't feel it} and think the 80s plotline could have been a book by itself. Long story short though, this book was beyond incredible! This will 100% be a favorite of 2022.


The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty - Y'all know I love fantasy series, trilogies, love stories...and this hit all 3! This was a great start to a trilogy - good world building, good characters, a nice tension-filled love story, lots of action and drama. I'm really excited to read the next one!


The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut - I really wish I had skipped this or stopped it once I realized I wasn't into. But I kept slogging through and very much DISLIKED. This is one of those stories that is a super weird, funky story that makes very little sense and is very disjointed, but you're supposed to learn a lesson. NO THANK YOU. I hated this so much.


Please Don't Sit On My Bed in Your Outside Clothes by Phoebe Robinson - This was a delight! I laughed out loud a lot, learned a lot, just enjoyed it so much. I read Phoebe's last book a few years ago but listened to the audiobook this time and Phoebe does an amazing job with the audiobook - I highly recommend listening to this one!


The Kiss Curse by Erin Sterling - I read The Ex Hex last October and thought it was cute. Erin followed this up with another story about the same family set in the same town, and it was also very cute. It isn't anything that will stick with me, but I enjoyed it, especially reading a story about witches right at Halloween.

Closing in on the end of the year, very curious what will shake out as my favorites overall!


2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

So I started If I never met you and got to the part where they are at dinner and the main girl sees the guy coworker who is not supposed to date office girls (i think). But then it expired. Need to check it out again. So what is the great believers about??

Emily said...

LOVE Great Believers; so glad you read it! I can't remember you ever saying you hated a book so I looked up your goodreads review to confirm you gave it a whopping 1 star. YIKES! Kind of funny since the overall goodreads score is 4.15 which is high. I also dislike weird/disjointed stories so I will not be picking this one up.