Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Recipe: Chicken Fried Rice

So chicken fried rice isn't anything new or special, but it's a staple at our house, and I have perfected a really easy and healthy way to make it and thought it'd be worth sharing for any moms out there with picky kids like I've got! We do a 'deconstructed' version so that everyone can get exactly what they want and for the 4 people in our house who eat food that means something different for everyone!

Ingredients:
-Chicken {we do about 1.5 pounds so that we have leftovers}
-Rice
-Eggs
-Frozen peas
-Chopped carrots {I shred using my cheese grater}
-Any other veggies you want to add
-Butter
-Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
-Coconut aminos

Instructions:
1. Cook rice according to package instructions. I do about 1.5 cups of brown rice and about 2 cups of water. The great part about this is you can make this super early - even the day, or days, ahead of time.

Do you like my sign? {grin}

2. Cut your chicken into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a pan and cook your chicken. After your chicken is cooked, move it into a bowl. I also do this ahead of time sometimes. A great activity while on a conference call!


3. Put more butter in your pan, and mix in your frozen peas and carrots. Sprinkle with onion powder and garlic powder. I don't like real onions, but you can always use those!
4. After your peas and carrots are cooked, break eggs into the pan and scramble. The number of eggs depends on how much peas and carrots you used and how eggy you want it to be.


5. Combine the combination of rice, chicken, and egg mixture you want. Pour in coconut aminos for a healthier, tastier version of soy sauce. I use A LOT!
6. Enjoy!


In our house, Trent eats a bowl of chicken, a separate bowl of rice, and a 3rd bowl of raw carrots. Drew wants rice, egg mixture, and coconut aminos. Brent wants everything except the coconut aminos, and I want it all! I love that we can each have what we want without me cooking 4 different meals because I am not a short-order cook!

2 comments:

Erika said...

This looks great!! We usually used cauliflower rice these days in lieu of real rice, and I bet that would sub in very easily! Yum!

Karen Peterson said...

I love fried rice but I've never actually made it myself! I'm so gonna make this!