Monday, January 7, 2013

Drew's Birth Story - Part 1

The plan was that if Baby Gurl wasn't here by 1/2/13, I would go back to work and life would resume from the holidays as 'normal' until she did arrive. So my in-laws kept Trent Tuesday night (1/1/13) since he always stays with them on Wednesdays. Brent took him over there, got a hamburger with some friends and came home. We talked about the plan for the next day - we wanted to go see Brent's best friend who had had a baby on 12/27, eat lunch together, run some errands and then have our appointment with the OB at 3:00 PM.

Wednesday morning I woke up a little before 7:00 and willed myself to go back to sleep. I dozed for a bit and then felt something. Hmmm... I looked at the clock - 7:24 AM. I tried to doze some more and felt another something. I proceeded to feel little surges every 5-10 minutes. They weren't painful but they were definitely something. I decided I'd give them at least an hour before I woke up Brent to make sure there was consistency. I mean, at 41 weeks pregnant, it has to be labor, right? I was sure hoping so but didn't want to get too excited. I got something to eat and sat down to read and watch the time. The surges continued.

At 9:00, I went and told Brent what was happening. At 9:30, I asked him if I should call the OB and doula group. We decided it couldn't hurt since I was still contracting less than 10 minutes apart. Things still were not painful at this point...but they were definitely there. I also texted a few girlfriends to say we might be in labor! That was fun.

At the OB's office, Liane {midwife} recommended I go ahead and go to the hospital since I did test positive for GBS. I was a little surprised by that because the OB {Dr. C} had said originally that I could still labor at home for awhile even with a positive test result. I called the doula group and Cary was the doula of the day. She agreed I could probably labor at home for a little bit since I was still feeling okay, could talk through my contractions and WANTED to be at home. She said she could meet us at home or at the hospital, just to let her know. I also talked to my mom, my MIL and my sister. Everyone was very excited!

I decided to get in the tub for a bit and I started timing my contractions with an app. I wanted to see if they were closer together like I thought or if it was my imagination/hope. I filled the tub up super full and climbed in. 2 contractions later I was OUT. I did NOT enjoy those contractions in the tub and just couldn't get comfortable. {Later Brent told me he was like WTF when he saw me get into the tub, he wanted to go to the hospital!} I started timing contractions at 10:06. They were on average a minute long and about 3 1/2 minutes apart - definitely moving in the right direction and starting to be painful. 

I got into the shower at this point because I wanted to be clean and fresh at the hospital. Brent took over timing the contractions. At this point they were definitely getting worse. I was using visualization and prayer to get me through each one. I ran the 400m in high school which is about a 1 minute race. I kept thinking about each contraction like a 400, kind of funny. I said lots of Hail Marys too and realized they were starting to get bad when I couldn't finish the prayer because I couldn't remember the words.

When I got out of the shower, I still wanted to fix my hair and make-up but Brent was really pushing me to get my bag finished so he could get it in the truck. I got dressed and realized there was no way I could get ready with as quickly as the contractions were coming and as painful as they were getting, so I pulled my wet hair back and threw everything else we needed into the suitcase and Brent started loading the truck.

I randomly remember paying for the placenta encapsulation service (Cary laughed at me about this later because she saw the email come through with my payment info) and answering an email from a co-worker (No, sorry I can't chat today, having contractions...ha). 

At this point, I was having to moan through each contraction to keep myself loose and relaxed. Scared the crap out of Brent though to walk back into the house and hear me moaning in our bedroom! Sorry, honey, it felt SO good!

I took one last bump picture, called Cary to tell her to meet us at the hospital and out the door we went!

It took me a few minutes to actually get into Brent's truck as contractions hit me. He just wanted me IN THE TRUCK so we could get going! In the truck, I called my mom and the OB to let them know we were heading to the hospital. By this point, it was 11:30 AM.

The drive to the hospital was pretty brutal (and only 15 minutes). Contractions every 3 minutes sitting were not pleasant. I remember cursing the bumps in the road. I wanted to be turned around backwards hugging the seat but was just trying to manage each contraction as best as I could until we could get to the hospital.

Finally, Brent turned onto the road the hospital was on. In between contractions, I voiced a fear that I NEEDED to be at a good number. I wasn't sure I could make it if we weren't. Brent told me to not worry about a number, we'd be where we'd be and we'd make it. Love that man.

And with that, we made it to the hospital!

Part 2 coming soon...I need to feed a hungry girl! {grin}


The Roaches... said...

Oh my gosh. Reading this brings back memories! Timing contractions and the ride to the hospital being not so fun... Can't wait to read the rest!!

the blogivers said...

Can't wait to hear the rest! I'm a sucker for a good birth story :)

Anonymous said...

Just getting to the good part! Can't wait to read the rest & see some more pics of baby Drew! - AP