Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Drew's Birth Story - Part 2

In case you missed it, Part 1 is HERE.

Where we left off, Brent had just pulled up to the hospital. He dropped me off at the entrance and went to park. Walking into the hospital was horrible. I read a sign that said 'Active labor - 2nd floor'. The lady at the information desk pointed me in the direction of the elevators and up I went. I had a contraction in the elevator and am so thankful no one was there when the door opened as I was leaning on the wall and moaning. Ha! I heard Brent come in downstairs and ask about me. The woman at information asked 'Was she wearing purple?' Yup, that was me! She pointed Brent upstairs and I shouted 'Hey' at him from the balcony. I didn't wait for him though - I went into L&D without him and figured he'd find me. I needed a room NOW!

Brent met me in L&D and a nurse got assigned to take us to a room. She asked if I wanted a wheelchair. The thought of sitting down again was absolutely awful. We got to our room, and I got changed into a gown and gave the nurse my birth plan. It was now 12:00 PM. The nurse mentioned her shift being over at 1:00 and a new nurse would be assigned to take us through delivery. Little did she know...

Just a few minutes later, doula Cary arrived. I started laboring on my hands and knees on the couch, and she began coaching me through each contraction. It was wonderful. Her voice was so calming, and she really helped keep me focused on my breathing through each pain.

A few minutes after that, Liane {midwife} made it! She came over and helped Cary get me through a contraction. I will forever love both of these women. Liane told me I needed to be checked, and I know it sounded awful, but I had to lay on the bed. Here was the moment of truth. Would I be a 2 and want to die? Honestly, the 2 minutes I was on the bed were the worst of the whole day. I had 1 contraction on my back and could barely handle it. Cary and Liane kept me together, and then Liane checked me. The way it felt, I knew she was going to say 2. She said '8 cm, 80% effaced, water bag bulging.' Holy sh*t!! Looking back, this is probably why the truck ride was so bad - I was probably going through transition.

Brent said at this point the room jumped into motion. Liane got really serious. People started swarming in, Liane got herself suited up, and I began laboring on the side of the bed. They also tried to get an IV in for antibiotics from Group B Strep, but I accidentally knocked it out during pushing. Oops! I was standing leaning on the birth ball which was on the bed. Cary and Liane kept coaching me through each contraction, and Liane said I had already been through the worst and it wouldn't hurt anymore than it already did. Those were magic words.

Liane then started discussing my water. Given Baby Gurl was 41 weeks, it was highly likely there would be meconium in my water, and if that was the case, we would not be able to delay cord clamping because we would need to get her suctioned immediately. Liane must have a 6th sense because on my next contraction, my water broke and, sure enough, there was meconium in it. 

Liane told me to let her know when I felt like I needed to push. The next contraction I started to feel the urge to push, so I climbed up onto the bed and leaned over the back of it (it was elevated) and began pushing when the urge hit. These contractions didn't hurt anymore, but the feelings were so intense. That's the only way I can think to describe them. It was overwhelming how my body took over and just made me push.

I started to lose control a little and was saying 'I can't, I can't' over and over again. Cary kept encouraging me that I could and I was. She said every time 'She is almost here. You are right there.' Brent told me {I didn't hear this or don't remember} that Liane told me to stop talking and use that energy to push. Ha. Brent said he almost got in my face at that point to pep talk me, but I got myself back under control.

At this point, Liane wanted me to turn onto my side to push to give Baby Gurl more room to come out. It took me a little bit of time to move into that position, but once I did, I looked down and half of her head was out! On the next contraction, I pushed with everything I had and out popped her head! Liane then worked her body out and she was here!!!! The time was 1:02, 1 hour after we got to the hospital.

She came out screaming which was awesome because that meant she didn't have to be suctioned and we could delay clamping her cord. Happy mama!

Wow! What a day!

We did not expect labor to go that quickly, but I'm so thankful I was able to labor at home some and wasn't at the hospital very long. We had an amazing team, Brent thought Liane did a great job too (he doesn't give out praise often).

We pretty much got our ideal birth and have a healthy, beautiful baby girl. We are beyond blessed.


The Roaches... said...

Wow!! How lucky am I that I literally saw this 3 minutes after you'd posted it?! Ha. You make it all sound so easy. ;-) So glad it was a success and that everything went so quickly, but not too quickly! If you have another kiddo, better get there faster...Good thing Brent shoved you out the door when he did!! Love to your family!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you my friend! You did it & got a beautiful baby at the end! - AP

amyklaus said...

I knew you could do it!!
I loved reading this,Thanks for posting. It brought back so many memories. :) It sounds a lot like my story.. I labored at home as long as I could, then the crazy car ride over to the hospital, I also had my sweet girl only a whole hour after arriving & no drugs! Way to go! Hope you are getting some rest. Congrats to you and your sweet family! Hugs. Amy

Melissa said...

Wow, amazing! Great job. My water broke before my contractions started. I remember how painful they were. Sounds like you did wonderful:)

the blogivers said...

That's great that it went pretty much just the way you wanted it to go! Happy you were able to meet your goal :)

Also, Brent looks thrilled about welcoming his newest child into the world in that picture, ha!

plauschinat said...

I am so glad the birth worked out as you wished! Reading your story was very suspenseful. I was worried you were going to deliver in the hospital driveway :) I hope you and Drew are doing well!!

The Krause's said...

I am sooo proud of you! It is the most amazing experience :) You did great and she is beautifully perfect. High five to you, Super Mama!!!!

Heather said...

I'm so proud of you for having a natural birth. I was a wuss (all 3 times!) I'm so impressed with all of your efforts and planning to ensure you had the birth you desired. I'm so glad it worked according to the plan! I can't wait to see more pics of Drew! Congratulations super mama!

Anonymous said...

Correct, I don't just throw praise around where it isn't deserved. - B