Thursday, September 2, 2021

August 2021 Book Review

How is 2021 two-thirds over? I really can't believe we are knocking on fall's door - hard to believe too when most days over the 10-day forecast have highs of 99 ha. Anyhoo, let's talk about the books I read in August!


I had a great month of reading and read 12 books. 5 non-fiction {who am I?}, 3 by POC authors, 1 audiobook, 2 books for book clubs, and a lot I really loved, yay!


The House in the Cerulean Sea
 by T.J. Klune - Oh goodness this was magical {literally and figuratively}! With a really wonderful underlying message about acceptance, and I was totally here for it. This story follows a government worker who is tasked to review an orphanage for children with magical abilities and what happens to him when he gets there - it is a transformative journey and a beautiful story. To me it read with the whimsical quality of a Roald Dahl novel but for adults, utterly fantastic - I cannot say enough good things about this book.


Party of Two
 by Jasmine Guillory - I continue to enjoy the books in this series - they are loosely related, so you don't need to read in any particular order. This one might have been my favorite. I love that this whole series in some ways is a traditional chick lit/romance novel but also touches on hard topics of race, mental health, women issues - so much!


Malibu Rising
 by Taylor Jenkins Reid - TJR continues to write amazing novels! I still think her earlier books are my favorites, but this one was so interesting and unique. It follows the 4 children of a famous musician on the day of their annual summer party. I love that the story flipped from the present to their history starting when their parents fell in love. All of the siblings have layers to them and are struggling, but I loved seeing how they all cared for each other. TJR just knows how to write a book!


1776
 by David McCullough - I am trying to continue learning as I age and was loaned this book by a friend. It was interesting and SO detailed, but I guess I wasn't expecting a 300 page book to JUST cover the first year of the American Revolution. I mean obviously the book is called 1776, but it was just SO SO detailed. I feel like I learned but it wasn't the most engaging. :/


What You Wish For
 by Katherine Center - I continue to like Katherine Center books. I wouldn't say she's a favorite author but I keep coming back because her stories are definitely engaging and enjoyable. This followed a teacher at an elementary school whose former crush turns up as the new principal at her school. It had several interesting tidbits {dealing with loss and disability} that kept it from being too fluffy and I really couldn't put this one down.


Someone Like Me by Julissa Arce - After reading American Dirt a few months ago, I recognized I needed to read REAL stories of immigrants, and my friend {Hi Veronica!} recommended a book by Julissa Arce, who went to her high school. Well, I found this YA version at our library and checked it out and really enjoyed it. Julissa shares her life growing up in Mexico, moving to Texas, and her life living her as an undocumented immigrant. Her story was so complicated and I can't imagine going through all the things she experienced. I'm trying to get Trent to read it {but, a GIRL wrote it, sigh}, and she has other books I want to read as well!


I am Malala
 by Malala Yousafzai - Well, if this wasn't super timely with everything happening in the Middle East right now! In 2020, I bought Drew a child biography of Malala and have been meaning to read her full memoir and finally did. Man was this fantastic! Not only is her story something out of a movie but she is a gifted story-teller and an amazing woman. I was awed throughout the book by her courage and unfailing hope. This is a must read!


The Silent Patient
 by Alex Michaelides - We read this for in-person book club and it was just okay. I got sucked into it and wanted to finish it but it wasn't anything spectacular. A doctor has a patient who killed her husband and hasn't spoken since, and he's trying to figure out what happened. I didn't see the ending coming but wasn't super invested in the story.


The Switch
 by Beth O'Leary - ADORABLE! A girl and her grandmother switch lives and both experience big changes and growth. Leena is on a forced work sabbatical and Eileen is in a rut at 79. I loved these characters and story overall. It was written so well - I laughed, I cried, I smiled throughout.


The Road to Jonestown
 by Jeff Guinn - I listened to the audiobook of this and was fascinated. I have a slight fascination with cults and have read books about Charles Manson and David Koresh and have watched some documentaries about Jim Jones but hadn't read any books about him. This was insanely well-researched and highly engaging. I couldn't stop listening! If you've ever been curious about this story, it is 100% worth the read.


Think Again by Adam M. Grant - This was our selection for BFBC and I really enjoyed it. It definitely gives you a lot to think about in the ways we think and interact with people. I loved that the author was very fact-based but also used humor to present his arguments. It was a drier book {non-fiction} but had so many engaging stories to highlight his points, well worth the read.


Dear Edward
 by Ann Napolitano - Holy snarkies. I ended the month on such an emotional rollercoaster. Edward is the only survivor of a plane crash, and this story alternates from the day of the crash to Edward's physical and {much slower} emotional recovery after moving in with his aunt and uncle. Goodness did this touch me in so many ways. The whole time I was reading the chapters in the plane I can't help thinking over and over how all these characters are dead and how hard it was to read about them - it was an amazing touch of the author's to mix these chapters together. Then reading Edward's story was so heartbreaking yet hopeful. I cried so many times but also felt like it ended so beautifully and in such a realistic way. FANTASTIC read.



2 comments:

Emily said...

You know I agree with every word about "The House in the Cerulean Sea"; the best book ever. Also, happy to hear that TRJ new book "Malibu Rising" is still good. Generally I love her books (like Daisy Jones which I read in one day) but I always worry that repeat authors are due for a dud. I chuckled that "Silent Patient" was just ok, since you know I feel the same; so many thrillers are just meh. Adding "Someone like me" and "I am Malala" to me list.

Kathryn Bagley said...

Looks like a lot of good reads this month!!