Tuesday, August 7, 2018

July 2018 Reads


July was my first month of reading that didn't revolve around the POPSUGAR book challenge, and I put a lot of pressure on myself to find some good books. June was a bit of a dud as I was trying to wrap up the challenge and had some odd prompts to finish, ha. 

Let's start out with the category called 'Yes, I fully admit I love romance novels but sometimes having to actually tell you that I read this book is a little bit embarrassing'.


Wallbanger & Rusty Nailed by Alice Clayton - The covers on these are just hilarious. First 2 books in a series about neighbors who don't like each other initially but have undeniable chemistry. These were actually really pretty darn cute! Definitely R-rated, but the 2 main characters were adorable, and their story was cute, cute, cute. If you like any of the trashy books I read, you'll like these. 

Heir to the Duke by Jane Ashford - I also love Victorian aristocracy stories {which should come as no surprise given my love for Downton Abbey}, but this one wasn't the best. It was more like PG {not that this is a bad thing but just letting anyone know who might want to read it} and I liked the story but it was just okay. I don't even want to take the time to describe the plot, ha.

Now, onto the meat of the month. I have 5 other books I read this month and I liked all of them and LOVED several of them. Lots of potential for my fellow bookworms!


Class Mom by Laurie Gelman - This book is very old, and I've seen it talked about for years and finally found it available at the library! The plot is around the life of the Kindergarten class [veteran] mom and was so funny. She was funny, self-deprecating, plot was solid - great read!!

The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes & Jo Piazza - I saw this recommended when I was going WAY back through Emily's book recommendations, and I'm so glad I went that far back on her blog, because I loved this! Imogen is returning from medical leave {breast cancer} at the magazine she runs, and a former intern has been hired back and is trying to make Imogen irrelevant/get her out. The situations Imogen gets put into are hilarious/awful, and sometimes eye-roll worthy, but Imogen is such a great character - she's always classy, thoughtful, just a real class act, so it makes it so easy to root for her and the resolution unfolds really nicely. Thought this was such a good, enjoyable read!!  

The Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes - Just when you think you've read every WW2 historical fiction story, you find another one with a backstory you've never heard of! Did you know there were English soldiers deployed to Australia to help defend Australia from Japan? And many of those soldiers married Australian ladies? Well, I didn't! After WW2 ended, these brides were 'shipped' to England to get them back to their new husbands - so crazy, right? This story follows 4 brides, who along with 600 other brides, are on a destroyer for 6 weeks traveling from Australia to their new lives in England. This started off a little slow, but I swear JoJo has a gift for making you love her characters. I stayed up really late one night to finish because I HAD to know what happened!

Troublemaker by Leah Remini - Another older book, but this was Leah Remini's biography about growing up in Scientology and Hollywood and what happened when she left Scientology. That 'religion' fascinates me, and this book was a great look into it. It felt like you were having a conversation with Leah - it wasn't super polished, but it was fascinating. I want to watch her show about Scientology now!

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katrina Bivald - Guys. This book gave me ALL THE FEELS. Sara is from Sweden and comes to Broken Wheel, Iowa to meet and stay with her pen pal, Amy. The only problem is Amy dies while Sara is in-transit to Iowa. The rest of the town wants Sara to stay and the relationships she develops with the townspeople are just adorable. I was smiling so much throughout reading this book and know a lot of you guys would love it too!

My first book of August has been A WINNER, so here's to another great month of books!

3 comments:

Erika said...

OK so I started reading Ship of Brides awhile back and probably only made it like 50ish pages...I didn't hate it, it was just NOT grabbing me like I wanted!! I didn't really intend to stop reading it, but after setting it down for a few days, I just never wanted to get back into it, so I returned it unread. Should I give it another go??

Emily said...

So glad you liked the knockoff! It’s always been one of my favorites. I am tempted to try your “trashy” romance novels, though I’m already a little embraced to be reading “wallbanger” at swim lessons ha. I have heard about the Scientology book for a long time (I love that actress) but never tried it because it’s always felt like an elaborate hoax. But I just added it to my list!

Kathryn Bagley said...

The Readers of Broken Wheel looks good! I finished The Kitchen House (loved-not the ending i was hoping for :/) and I'm reading Glory Over Everything Now and after reading the summary it makes me nervous about the outcome!