Wednesday, August 15, 2018

A Parenting Discussion...Gone Wrong

I've listened to the same radio morning show, The Bobby Bones Show, since right about when I started with Deloitte, so for almost 15 years now. The kids listen to it with me and have their favorite segments. 

Trent's favorite segment is the 'Bonehead Story of the Day' which shares someone doing something idiotic. One day a couple of weeks ago, the story was about a waiter who posted a fake receipt on social media to garner sympathy (money?) because the customers wouldn't tip him and called him a terrorist, and when he was found out for faking this, the waiter was fired.

Trent didn't quite understand why this was a bonehead story since he doesn't really understand what a terrorist is and why race plays into that. So we talked about 9/11 and how some people think anyone who is either Muslim or of Middle Eastern descent is a terrorist and why this is wrong.

After a slightly lengthy explanation from me about being kind to everyone, why making assumptions are wrong, why racism is bad, etc. I asked Trent if he understood. His response to me?

'Yes. Basically, if someone is of Middle Eastern descent, I should assume they are a terrorist.'

My response back?

'NO, no, no, no, no!!!! This is EXACTLY the opposite of what I was saying!'

I really hope he doesn't say at school this week 'My mom taught me all people of Middle Eastern descent are terrorists.' That wouldn't get me called into the principal's office at school AT ALL! {grin}

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my this reminds me when it was MLK Day and I checked out all these books from the library to teach Aaron the importance of Dr King. Well, turns out Aaron got super focused on segregation so when he went to school, he asked if the black kids should be in a different class. WOW FAIL

Kathryn Bagley said...

I know I shouldn't have laughed at this..but I did :/ #thethingskidssay