Tuesday, October 1, 2024

September 2024 Book Review

Another month of reading is in the books! {See what I did there? Grin.}


I read 11 books this month bringing my yearly total to 92, well-ahead of my goal of 100 books. I've got several memoirs/non-fiction reads this month, all pretty sad honestly {who am I?}, but some fantasy and a thriller to mix it up!


Men We Reaped
 by Jesmyn Ward - Gosh, this was brutal. Jesmyn Ward tells her story of growing up as a poor Black girl in the south interspersed with stories of 5 men {from her brother to friends} who all died in a short period of time {from a multitude of reasons}. This was gut-wrenching but such a brutal and honest look at her life and the myriad of problems systemic racism has caused. It was beautiful and not a book I'll forget, but it was a tough read.


A Thousand Boy Kisses
 by Tillie Cole 
[audiobook] - This was a YA love story about neighbors who grow up together but face some pretty hard stuff {I don't want to spoil it}. I liked it at first but it just was TOO MUCH. Like 'we are the only 2 people ever in the history of time to love like this' much. It was sweet but I rolled my eyes a lot, and I hated the ending ha.


The Midnight Library
 by Matt Haig [audiobook] - re-read for book club, and I loved it the 2nd time just as much as the first!


Wild
 by Cheryl Strayed - I've wanted to read this for years and finally did and loved it! It's Cheryl Strayed's memoir of walking the Pacific Crest Trail alone after the death of her mom. It's not an easy read and some parts were a bit slow, but I cried and laughed and just loved this story so much. Cheryl is a phenomenal writer, and her love for her mother poured out so beautifully.


People Love Dead Jews
 by Dara Horn 
[audiobook] - I read this book for Blog Friend Book Club, and it was very good. It covers lots of stories throughout history of anti-Semitism in large and small ways, and I learned so much. I thought some chapters made more sense than others, but overall it was a great read. It also was one of the best discussions we've had in our book club, we had so much to discuss, I loved that especially! 


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
 by JK Rowling - re-read with Paige and as delightful as always!




Throne of Glass
 and Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - I'm finally reading Sarah J. Maas' first fantasy series about an assassin named Caelena. It is so good, loving it already! I just started book 3 of 7 and imagine I'll finish quickly because I can't put them down!


The Pale-Faced Lie
 by David Crow 
[audiobook] - This memoir was FASCINATING! David Crow tells about his life growing up with his Cherokee Indian father on Indian reservations and the abuse {mental/physical/emotional} he, his siblings, and his mother endured at the hands of his father. I am awed by his ability to persevere through it and become a determined and successful adult. It was a GREAT book.

The Bridge by Gene L. Freudenberg - I don't have a picture of this book. My mom bought it for me at a garage sale, and it's about a real murder that happened in a small Texas town in the 1920s. It was a hot mess, though, so don't bother looking for it. {grin}


The Weekend Away
 by Sarah Alderson 
[audiobook] - I listened to this thriller about 2 best friends who go away for the weekend and one goes missing very quickly. There were lots of twists and turns that I didn't expect, and I found the ending satisfying! 

My average for the month was 3.9 compared to 3.83 for the year so right about on pace. 


0 comments: