Thursday, September 14, 2017

A Check-In on the Mama

I thought it would be a good idea to give an update on how I am doing as a relatively newly minted mom of 3, and I'm back at work, and and and... {grin}

Physically

I am completely healed from delivery, which should be expected given Paige is almost 9 months old, ha. HOWEVER, I have a lot of weight to lose. Womp, womp. One of the Zoloft side effects {that I didn't have with Trent} was weight gain. I gained over 20 pounds! Before I started taking it, I was barely eating because the post-partum had me anxious so much I was nauseous, so I lost almost all my baby weight. Then I packed a lot of it back on. So I would say physically my biggest hurdle right now is the weight. I've been eating better and exercising - Orange Theory Fitness opens tomorrow - and have lost 5 pounds. I still have a long way to go, but you gotta start somewhere!

Mentally/Emotionally

I stopped taking Zoloft right around when I went back to work and have been great without it. Every time, my PPA hits with a vengeance but is pretty short-lived. I guess I can be thankful for that?? I would say I'm back to my normal, slightly off-balance self. {grin}

Being Back at Work

I am so lucky in my job - it is THE BEST. I may not feel like it is a calling or anything, but it makes being a mom with a full-time job so much more manageable. 9/10 people on my team have kids, so we get what it is to have the day-to-day challenges - sick kids, school conferences, soccer practice, etc. My company is also super flexible about when you work - as long as you get your work done and are around for most of the 'regular' business hours, it's all good. That is such a blessing with the kids' school day ending at 3:00!

Relationship with Brent

After Trent, I was really worried for a while I was never going to feel connected to Brent again. We didn't go out on a date for a long time, and my 100% focus was on Trent. But as Trent grew and was less needy, the tide turned and we found a balance. The same has happened with Drew and now with Paige. I think PPA plays a part in this because I do basically become obsessed/overly protective about my babies. So we're in that place where the new normal is starting to settle in. We've had a few dates and it's feeling easier to leave Paige, we've even got an OVERNIGHT trip planned for next month!

Balancing Three Kids

This has been easier than I thought. Brent and I both agree that the transition from 1 to 2 the hardest for us. Yes, at first, figuring out 3 was tough, but it was a quick transition into a balance that still seems to be working. Paige is SUCH a good baby still and is SO easy-going that it makes it very easy to juggle the big 2. She is happy all the time {unless she is protesting bedtime}! Early in my pregnancy, I was already stressing about getting 3 ready for school in the mornings since Brent is gone before I even get the kids up usually - I mean that was over an entire school year ago if that tells you how worried I was! But it's been pretty easy. I think a big part of that is last school year I was staying home after Paige got here and Brent was able to take the big 2 most days, so I got them ready and then he took them and now Paige is so much older. I basically put her in her high chair or the Bumbo with food if I need both of my hands for something and she's happy as a clam. It also helps that the big 2 are so helpful with her!

Overall Thoughts

PPA sucks and is really the only big hurdle I had this time around. Paige is an absolute JOY, so I give her a lot of the credit for how easy this has been. Trent and Drew love her so much, Brent being home for a big chunk of my maternity leave - and that being most of when I had my PPA - was a blessing, too. I can't believe she is almost 9 months old. Our family is complete, and after years of feeling unsettled when Brent and I didn't agree, it feels amazing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am glad you're doing well. Let me know how Orange Theory goes. - AP

Kathryn Bagley said...

Such a happy post! Can't wait to hear about OTF!!

Chelsea said...

You are doing awesome MOMMY!! I am struggling big time with balancing 2. It has been so hard and I feel so stressed out. Any tips would be helpful
Chelsea
http://thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/2017/09/thursday-confession.html

Emily said...

I'm happy to hear the transition from 2 to 3 wasn't harder than 1 to 2. I heard a lot of people say it's hard going from man-on-man coverage to zone, but I feel like that changes a lot with ages (as in, Trent is highly independent and Drew similarly). Since I suspect we'll have similar age gap (or more) to our third, I like hearing your perspective on that. Sorry that PPA has sucked but happy it's now passed!