Sunday, February 23, 2014

Movie Review: Dallas Buyers Club

Allison and I are cutting it to the wire for Oscar nominated films, and to be honest, I think we're only going to get to 7 or 8. Boo but such is life. Tonight we were going to see Her, but the theater's times weren't right, so we saw Dallas Buyers Club instead.


Plot: In 1985 Dallas, electrician and hustler Ron Woodroof works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medication they need after he is himself diagnosed with the disease.

Review: Enthusiastic thumbs up! So far this is my favorite, and Matthew McConaughey is my favorite nominated actor. Jared Leto was amazing too. It was a very gripping story, and I kept thinking about how I would act in some of the roles. 1985 was a VERY different time {not that I'd remember given I was 5} when it comes to AIDS than it is now, and there were a lot of stereotypes associated with the illness. I also can't imagine the fear of being diagnosed when there wasn't much of a hope of treatment. Ron was a very brave and strong man to do what he did in this movie! For such a deep subject matter, I thought the actors did an amazing job of not making it too heavy. There were still moments to laugh or roll your eyes or have hope for their characters. Great story and great storytelling!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up. I would be okay if it won. AP

Kelly said...

You guys are so good! I love how you do this.

Karen M. Peterson said...

See?? We can agree on some movies! I loved this one too and agree with you that they did a fantastic job of not making the film too heavy.