Monday, October 25, 2010

All About Babywearing - Part 1

While pregnant, I thought it would be fun to be a babywearing mama.  Once I realized how much I enjoyed wearing Trent, I got online and read in my baby books ('Baby 411' ROCKS) all about babywearing.  I found out that not only is it convenient for the mama, there are so many benefits for the baby too! When I'm out with Trent and wearing him, I still get questions from other moms about the carrier I'm using or do I like using them or where did I get it or a million other things. So hopefully this isn't boring!!


Here is what I learned (from Wikipedia, askdrsears, etc.):

1. Sling babies cry less. I can definitely attest to this one.  Trent was one of the happiest, most content babies ever.


2. Sling babies learn more.  Sling babies spend more time in a state of 'quiet alert' (since they aren't crying).

3. Sling babies are more organized.

4. Sling babies get humanized earlier.  Babies are closer to people, and can study facial expressions, learn languages faster, and be familiar with body language.

5. Sling babies are smarter.  This is because the baby is more intimately involved in mommy and daddy's world.

6. Babywearing reduces SIDS and 'flat head syndrome'. To paraphrase what I read, babies 'learn' how to regulate their body systems by feelings yours.  And because the baby is not in a carseat, bouncer, stroller, etc. as much there is a reduced chance of your baby having a flat head.

I also learned there are a lot of carriers!  I have a collection of 4, but there are tons of different kinds.  There are pouches*, wraps*, ring slings*, mei tais, hip carriers, front carriers*, and baby backpacks/structured carriers.  Coming soon - all about these carriers!

*These are the ones I have. {grin}

Happy, babywearing mamas!



6 comments:

Erin said...

i love this idea! someday when i have kids, i'll definitely wear my baby :)

Kelly said...

Cute!!! I am definitely going to wear my baby too!!

A Real Housewife said...

we had to do a baby wearing report for our childbirth class. you and i must have found the same online info. i have the moby and baby bjorn and can't wait to use them!!

The Krause's said...

I LOVED wearing my babies too! My fav is the Moby Wrap and now I want the Ergo carrier :)

Val said...

I bought into this quick w/ a colic baby! Ergo is totally the way to go...it's the best!!! Adly has one in her size for her baby dolls now...Santa brought that one.

Shanni ♥ said...

What are the names of the carriers that you have? I had 2 with Ace. I plan to baby wear even more with future babies [[possibly in the works.. eeekkkk! =) ]]

I also am planning on trying to cloth diaper, didn't you do that? Any tips?