Saturday, June 11, 2011

Decluttering Lessons Learned (So Far)...

One of my Project 52 goals is to 'Purge our house of excess clutter.'  My resolution for 2011 was all about organization.  One of the things I love about Trent's birthday is it spurs me to get projects done around the house before his party. {grin}  I started a list this week of the closets/cabinets/rooms I wanted to clean out before T's party.  Today I started!  (And of course pictures will be forthcoming of my successes.  I already made Brent look at each space.  Yes, I want praise, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.)  What have I learned so far?
  • Keeping your co-worker's cookware from when you had your almost TWO-year-old is unacceptable and embarrassing (sorry, Veronica, I'll bring it to the office on Monday).
  • Weddings presents that remain unopened (from our almost SEVEN year marriage) need to be given away.
  • I have a lot of cups, plates, napkins, etc. from various parties I've thrown.  A LOT.  Like I don't need to buy anything for T's party lot.
  • It's really fun to throw away CRAP!  (And I recycled WAY more than I threw away)
  • I have found a lot of stuff that I thought was lost (imagine that).
  • We have a lot of space when I get rid of all this said crap.
  • It's actually FUN decluttering!
So far (all today!!!), I've attacked our office/catch-all room (my scarriest closet), our front door closet, the pantry, 2 kitchen junk drawers (of 5 - sick, I know), and the book basket under my nightstand.  I still want to get Trent's room/closet, the guest bathroom closet, my side of our closet, under my side of the sink, our bathroom closet, my nightstand, the rest of the kitchen drawers, the mail area, and the guest room closet.  That'll get almost the entire house!!!  Think I can do all that plus finish planning a birthday party in 2 weeks?  I aim to try! {grin}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO ALLENA! I been purging like crazy lately with baby #2 on the way. One thing I have figured out is that every closet/drawer has AT LEAST 3 things I don't need. It feels so good to get rid of stuff (but it also makes me a little ashamed I had so much crap to begin with).

Kelly said...

YAY!!!! Decluttering is fun and makes you feel so productive!! I am sure it will all look perfect for T's party!!

plauschinat said...

Decluttering feels great. I'm so glad charity organizations come by to pick up donations because I have had several bags every few weeks.