Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Time I Destroyed my iPhone

 In February, I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. Not fun but not the end of the world. My phone is a company phone, and you can get 1 replacement a year, so I was able to go into the office and get a phone from the used inventory of phones. Easy peasy.

Then in March {during the early days of quarantine}, Trent dropped my phone on a Pokemon Go walk...and REALLY broke the screen. I was super annoyed, but I couldn't really be mad at him, since I'd just replaced it because I broke it. BUT it also meant I wasn't eligible for a replacement for another year.

For the last 7 months, I have just used my busted phone. I said as long as I could read, which I could...with just a little difficulty, I would be ok. Then my brother-in-law told me how he was able to change his phone screen himself when he accidentally drove over it with a golf cart. I thought it sounded a lot better to spend $20 on a screen and replace it myself than either a) continuing to use a broken phone or b) spending hundreds of dollars to pay someone else.

I ordered the replacement screen, and on Sunday, my sister and I very slowly took apart my phone. We watched a YouTube video and followed it step-by-step. It was relatively easy to take it apart, except for some screws that would NOT come out. Some screws took us 30 minutes to get out. After 2.5 hours, when it was time to go home, we had my phone apart and were about halfway through putting it back together.

At home, I continued working on it for another hour and finally got it all put back together! I felt so proud of myself...until it wouldn't turn on. Womp, womp. Brent found a video about this exact situation, but none of the fixes they offered worked, and I was NOT about to take it apart again.

Monday I took it to a repair place and found out...it wasn't salvageable. NOOOOO! I was so upset. I now have to buy a new phone {with my own money, instead of getting it from my company} when I could have waited just 3 more months to get a new one. 

Moral of the story: don't listen to your brother-in-law!

Now I'm off to shop for a new iPhone. 



3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

Oh no!!! That makes me so sad for you! I am in desperate need of a new phone but it's paid off and has been for prob about 2 years and I just hate the new lease system which adds like $30 PLUS insurance so like my car I'm trying to hold out..ha!

Erika said...

Ahahahaha!!! So sad!! I always use this local mobile screen-replacing company to replace my busted screens. It's usually like $100-150 (depending on how new your phone is, which mine usually isn't TOO new haha) and they meet you somewhere in public, like Starbucks or at your office, and do it in like 20 minutes. It's the BEST. Like I don't really love spending $150 on that, but compared to buying a new phone or going through the time consuming mess of trying to replace it myself (and then it maybe not even working, haha)...totally worth it!!

Emily said...

UGH I'm sorry! I've only ever broken a screen once (three years ago) and I was overdue for an upgrade so it wasn't a big deal. Adam and I just upgraded to the iPhone 12 and it is a major adjustment after having the iPhone 8 for so long (face ID for one thing).