Monday, October 5, 2020

First Days of School Part Deux

 We have been back at school for a week and a half IN PERSON! It hasn't been without its challenges, but overall, we've had a great start to the year. I personally had a lot of anxiety about it {which I've blabbed about incessantly so I will try to not rehash it all here}.

Originally the school stated we would be virtual for 4-weeks with the school reopening on September 17. But as we got closer, they announced a phased-in start. Only the 7th/8th graders would start on September 17. Primary {Paige} would start September 22, Lower Elementary {Drew} would start September 24, and Upper Elementary {Trent} would start September 28.

We decided to have Paige start the same day as Drew because we didn't think it would go over well with Paige getting out of the car by herself, I couldn't walk her into class, and she'd be going into a new class in a new school. So Drew and Paige started together on September 24.

We had to do 2 versions of our first day pic to show their masks and chains!


A co-worker of mine makes personalized mask chains, and they are so cute!


Drop-off went GREAT! Way better than I expected. NO TEARS from Paige, she just marched right in. And Drew had been SO EXCITED for days, she practically jumped out of the car! I was so happy!

I was nervous all day how the girls would do - Would the masks drive them crazy? Would Paige cry a lot? How would naptime go for Paige? What would recess look like? Well, at pick-up, I mostly got good news!!! The masks seem to be a non-issue thankfully! Paige said she cried a few times {including when she had to go to the nap room}, but I thought we had a successful day!

BUT...the rest of Thursday Paige kept saying over and over again that she didn't want to go back to school. She cried at bedtime and Friday morning about having to go to school the next day and drop-off was awful. She was sobbing and clinging to me, ugh.

Paige did request another picture on Friday morning!


We got snow cones Friday afternoon to celebrate!


On-and-off all weekend, Paige would bring up school and not wanting to go. Monday morning there were more tears while getting ready, tears in the car, tears when I got her out of the car. Trent, at least, had a good attitude about it all - he wasn't thrilled to be going back but knew he had to - that is HUGE for him!


Monday afternoon, everyone had stories for me. They kept talking over each other in their excitement to tell me about school. Trent made some friends, the big 2 were excited about multiple recesses, Paige painted a picture {that she said was for me and then changed it to being for Drew and Trent!} and was happy at pick-up but said she cried several times. 

Brent and I decided we would be lenient on screen time and give extra treats this week, since it's been so long since they've gone to school and we wanted to celebrate any victory. So Monday, I took everyone to Starbucks for a treat!

Tuesday and Wednesday involved lots of tears for Paige {Trent told her at drop-off on Tuesday 'I don't want to go to school either, but we have to.' That CRACKED me up.} But!!! On Wednesday at pick-up, Paige told me 'I finally had a good day!'

We ended the week on a high - each day drop-off got better and better, Friday there were no tears {although clinging to me} and walking into class independently and smiles at pickup. Trent's teacher also emailed me {I'm the class mom} about Trent being a 'treasure'!!!!!!! And Drew just loves school, her guide, and her friends!

I know it's early days, but I'm so happy with how things are going!!


3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

We've been back full time for a couple weeks now. I know one parish (county) has already had everyone out for 2 weeks due to a covid break out. But things here seem to be going ok. I'm glad P is warming up slowly!! Hope they have a wonderful school year :)

Emily said...

AW I'm sorry it's been tough on Paige, but also not surprised. It's a big adjustment going back after all that time home. But I'm sure it's a relief for YOU! My friend also made Oliver a personalized chain and it's been so nice. Nature school hazard: he can't climb a tree wearing his mask on a chain but I figure if he's up in a tree, he's probably 6 feet from other kids, right? LOL.

Natasha said...

I'm thankful Paige is getting used to school. You must be so happy to have them all back in person. I hope that can continue for quite awhile and that Paige eventually gets to be joyful about going to school!