Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Our Morning Routine

Why yes the school year is almost over! Isn't that the perfect time to talk about our morning routine?

I wake up at 6:30 every morning. I've been trying since January to get up at 6:00...but it isn't happening. Ha! It only takes me about 10 minutes to get ready, unless I have washed my hair, so this is enough time, but I want to get a little bit of work done in the morning, and that's what isn't happening. Brent leaves about 6:30, so sometimes I see him when I get up and sometimes I don't!

I make breakfast for the kids before I get them up. Trent eats a turkey burger every morning and the girls get a squirty fruit, some fruit and usually either a breakfast sausage link or scrambled eggs. Sometimes Drew asks for jelly toast, but I'm not a big fan of giving them carbs or sugar first thing in the morning.

Trent's breakfast...every.single.morning.

I start Trent and Drew's lunches while cooking breakfast - I sometimes make their lunches the day before...but not usually! Their lunches consist of a protein, a fruit, and a vegetable - pretty basic but again I limit their empty calorie carb intake at school.

I wake everyone up between 6:45 - 6:50. I get Paige up first, then we go wake the beast {Trent}, and then we get Drew. I carry both girls into the kitchen.

Rise and shine, girls!!

Trent needs a little more time to get up.

Trent usually comes into the kitchen around 7:00, and I typically only have to go bug him once or twice. {grin} As long as the girls start getting dressed by 7:20, we can still get out the door on time.

Doesn't everyone's morning include indoor naked tricycle time?

The next 15 minutes are a litany of 'Go get your socks on Trent.' and 'Drew, did you brush your hair yet?' and 'Paige, get over here, you can't go to school naked.'

YUP.

Looking sharp, you two!

My goal is to leave between 7:30-7:35, but it's usually closer to 7:40. As long as we are pulling out by 7:45, the big 2 get to school on time. They have had zero tardies this year so we've nailed it!

Paige has to 'drive' for a few minutes, then climb into the backseat {she calls it 'sliding' because she slides down the center console}, and help put on her seat belt. This takes at least 5 minutes so this is where things can break down really fast, grrrr.


On the way to the bigs' school, we rotate everyone picking songs - this usually keeps the peace, although Paige complains the most about wanting ONLY her songs.

The big 2 get dropped off typically about 7:50, and then I head to Paige's school, which is 15 minutes away. I get her dropped off by about 8:20 and then either head home to work or I head to jazzercise for a 9:00 am class.

We hopefully only have 1 more year of 2 drop-offs - I'm really excited to shave off about 30 minutes of drive/drop-off time! 

3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I wish I woke up in time to make myself breakfast..but it's usually Belvita cookies..ha

Natasha said...

Do all the schools in the States start so early??? Our kids' school only starts at 9 and most schools here start between 8:45 and 9:20. As long as the kids are out the door by 8:45 we usually don't have an issue with them being late.

Also, I admire your attempts to cut sugar and empty carbs from your kids' breakfast and lunches. Do your kids have one lunch break or two? We have two "nutrition breaks" here. From 11:20 - 11:40 and then again from 2:00 - 2:20 so the kids' lunches are really more "big snacks" because they don't have a ton of time to eat anything.

Anyways, I think school life is pretty different from country to country and I really notice a big difference between US and Canadian schools in terms of timing, pacing of the day, and holidays.

Emily said...

My first thought was "whoa you have to wake up your kids?!" We almost never have to (I really can't think of the last time we did); they are always up by 6:45 no matter what (even on weekends.... grrrr). Also, I echo Natasha's comment about your early school-time, since we start at 9:05. Do you know if your highschool starts earlier or later than elementary? Up here there is talk of flipping highschool (currently starts at 7:15) and elementary (starts at 9), with the idea that highschoolers need more sleep (blah blah blah).