Friday, March 2, 2018

Oscars 2018: My Votes!

It's that time again! Allison and I have seen all the movies we're going to see, and we actually did a really great job.  Out of the 13 movies who received a main nomination, Allison and I saw 10! Here's what I hope wins! [Highlighted in red if we didn't see it.]

Best Supporting Actress
Mary J. Blige, 'Mudbound'
Allison Janney, 'I, Tonya'
Lesley Manville, 'Phantom Thread'
Laurie Metcalf, 'Lady Bird'
Octavia Spencer, 'The Shape of Water'

My vote: Allison Janney! She was amazing in I, Tonya. She was completely transformed. I really loved Octavia Spencer, but I can't think of anything she's done that I didn't like. 

Best Supporting Actor
Willem Dafoe, 'The Florida Project'
Woody Harrelson, 'Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri'
Richard Jenkins, 'The Shape of Water'
Christopher Plummer, 'All the Money in the World'
Sam Rockwell, 'Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri'

My vote: I really thought Woody Harrelson did an outstanding job. I don't think he'll win, but he was my favorite. I think Sam Rockwell will win which I wouldn't hate. 

Best Actress
Sally Hawkins, 'The Shape of Water'
Frances McDormand, 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri'
Margot Robbie, 'I, Tonya'
Saoirse Ronan, 'Lady Bird'
Meryl Streep, 'The Post'


My vote: I'm having a hard time with this one because I think all of these ladies did a great job. Meryl's performance in The Post was very subtly done, but there was so much to the character. Frances was also really powerful in Three Billboards. The anger she expressed made her character super nuts which was interesting to see on screen. I would seriously be happy with any of them.

Best Actor
Timothée Chalamet, 'Call Me by Your Name'
Daniel Day-Lewis, 'Phantom Thread'
Daniel Kaluuya, 'Get Out'
Gary Oldman, 'Darkest Hour'

Denzel Washington, 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.'

My vote: Gary Oldman - another complete transformation. I kept looking at him trying to see Gary and couldn't at all. I wouldn't have guessed it was him if I didn't already know.

Best Picture
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour

Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird

Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

My vote: I would say my personal favorite was Darkest Hour in terms of pure enjoyment, but I think it's a little too straight-laced to win, ha. From a numbers perspective, The Shape of Water had the most nominations, so I think that could win - plus it was quirky and had some really unique features to it...

Can't wait for Sunday's show to see how this all plays out!

2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

ohh can't wait to see how your predictions turn out! and of course your best and worst dressed post!

Natasha said...

I'm so envious that you've gotten to see so many of the movies. I think we are averaging one movie a year these days.