Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Movie Review: Manchester By the Sea

Allison and I were able to see Manchester By the Sea as a potential {and likely from what I've read} Best Picture nominee. Going into it, I knew very little about it, but the buzz I'd seen online had me excited.


Plot: An uncle is forced to take care of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies.

Review: See? That plot really gives nothing away, and I'm so glad it doesn't. This movie was incredible. Allison and I both felt the ending wasn't quite what we hoped for {but we're both eternal optimists}, but it was a real ending for the story. Casey Affleck is amazing - at the beginning I couldn't figure out why his character seemed so bored? unaffected? unconnected? - at one point I wondered if he was autistic - and then when I found out his history, it ripped through me. You see him in a totally different {and devastated} light. The entire cast is awesome, and the story is just so heartbreaking with moments of comedy and lightness and love. I'm giving it a solid A and hope it does well this awards season!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our last movie before Baby Smoochie! Ended on a high note. Well, the acting was good, even if the story was depressing...-AP

Chelsea said...

I hope it turns out good :) Chelsea @ http://thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/

Kathryn Bagley said...

I def want to see that!

Karen Peterson said...

THAT scene had me sobbing. Oh my gosh, I almost couldn't handle it. SO tragic and terrible and sad and heartbreaking and he was SO good!